Emeril’s Angel Cake Sandwiches are proof that tasty sandwiches can be sweet as well as savory! A delicious alternative to strawberry shortcake.
Emeril’s Angel Cake Sandwiches
Today a group of Sunday Supper contributors are cooking from Emeril Lagasse’s latest cookbook, Kicked Up Sandwiches as well as Emeril’s Potluck. I missed the notice, but luckily I had received the first cookbook from a blogger giveaway. I selected one of the dessert sandwiches, Angel Cake Sandwiches, made with berries, cream and angel food cake so I could join in…there’s always room for another dessert during the holidays! I’d already made the Red Velvet Whoopie Pies from this wonderful book, so I had no doubt these would be winners. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see what the other participants brought to the potluck.
To make these sandwiches, you simply bake an angel food cake in a jelly roll pan, then use a cookie cutter to make rounds from the cooled cake. Layered with sweetened whipped cream and berries, these beauties were a taste of summer on Christmas Eve. I did have to scour 3 grocery stores for decent berries, but found some raspberries and blackberries that I sweetened with a bit of superfine sugar. The cake could have used a pinch of salt, but other than that, this dessert was perfection…reminiscent of strawberry shortcake, soft and airy sponge with cream and berries is a classic dessert. Though a little unwieldy when stacked, this combination was lovely!
Emeril’s Angel Cake Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 17
- Cuisine: Dessert, Cake
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablepoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt (my addition)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh berries, I used raspberries and blackberries
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line jellyroll pan (mine is 10 1/2 x 15 1/2″) with parchment and set aside.
- Whip egg whites and cream of tartar in stand mixer till soft peaks form. Slowly add 3/4 cup of the superfine sugar while continuing to whip at medium speed . Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and the almond extract and whip till stiff peaks form.
- Sift 3/4 cup of superfine sugar with the flour and repeat two more times. Fold into the egg whites until incorporated, taking care not to deflate the whites.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake 20 minutes or till cake springs back when touched lightly with your finger. Cool on rack, then remove to a cutting board, leaving parchment paper on until ready to cut.
- Whip cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Gently toss berries with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- To serve, remove parchment paper from cake and cut rounds with a 2 inch cookie cutter. With white side up, place a cake round on plate, top with a few berries, then a tablespoon of the whipped cream, another cake round, and finally more berries and cream. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Emeril.
You can make your own superfine sugar by pulsing granulated sugar in your food processor a few times.
If anyone knows how to throw a party it’s Emeril; and Kicked-Up Sandwiches and Emeril’s Potluck have the perfect recipes for a fun, casual and delicious New Year’s Eve Celebration! The Sunday Supper Team is sharing some of our favorite recipes to kick off the New Year Emeril Style!
25 Bloggers will be giving away 25 copies of Emeril’s Cookbooks! You don’t want to miss this special Celebration!
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Drinks:
- Champagne Punch by girlichef
- Champagne Punch by Daily Dish Recipes
- Champagne Punch by Midlife Roadtrip
- Champagne Punch by Family Foodie
- Chi Chi Cocktails by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Starters:
- Spiced Nuts by The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Spiced Nuts by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Spiced Nuts by Home Cooking Memories
- Spiced Nuts by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Prosciutto Breadsticks & Spiced Nuts by Galactosemia in PDX
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Dishes and Sandwiches:
- Sopressata and Genoa Salami Calzones by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Craving’s of a Lunatic
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Diabetic Foodie
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Weekend Gourmet
- Emeril’s Columbia Street Grinder Kicked Up a Notch New Orleans Style by The Catholic Foodie
- Eggplant Muffuletta by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- A Vegetarian Take on Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches Tonkatsu Sandwich by Ninja Baking
- New Orleans Style Garlic BBQ Shrimp by Comfy Cuisine
Sunday Supper NYE Desserts:
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce by Magnolia Days
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with 2 Sauces by Juanita’s Cocina
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze by Damn Delicious
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on December 30th. In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our #SundaySupper New Year’s Eve Potluck Party Emeril Style! We are so excited to have you join us. All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.
Please feel free to share with us and our followers your favorite New Year’s Eve recipe on our #SundaySupper Pinterest Board. We are excited to have you Around the Family Table for this special Party!