Emeril’s Angel Cake Sandwiches
Emeril’s Angel Cake Sandwiches are proof that tasty sandwiches can be sweet as well as savory! This Easy Angel Food Cake Dessert is a delicious alternative to strawberry shortcake.
Emeril’s Angel Cake Sandwiches
I joined a group of bloggers and cooked from Emeril Lagasse’s latest cookbook, Kicked Up Sandwiches as well as Emeril’s Potluck. There’s always room for another dessert during the holidays, especially when it’s not totally packed with calories, yet still elegant and tasty! I’d already made the Red Velvet Whoopie Pies from this wonderful book, so I had no doubt these would be winners.
How to Make Dessert Sandwiches
Next layer your angel food cake rounds with sweetened whipped cream and berries, then top with a second round of cake if you dare. I recommend perching the “lid” next to the berry and cream topped round instead of stacking, for easier dining.
These dessert sandwiches were a taste of summer on Christmas Eve but would be a terrific dessert in late spring with local strawberries. I did have to scour 3 grocery stores for decent berries in December but finally found some raspberries and blackberries that I sweetened with a bit of superfine sugar.
The cake could have used a pinch of salt, as do ALL desserts. But other than that, this dessert was perfection. Reminiscent of strawberry shortcake, this soft and airy sponge with cream and berries made for an elegant easy angel food cake dessert.
Though a little unwieldy to eat when stacked, this combination was lovely! I wouldn’t eat these angel cake sandwiches like a traditional sandwich, but instead with a fork.
PRO-Tip: If you’re new to my blog, you may not have heard my warning when making egg white-based desserts such as meringues and pavlovas. When whipping egg whites, all the equipment, like the beaters and bowl, must be scrupulously clean. Any bit of oil, grease or even one speck of egg yolk will prevent the whites from whipping properly.
If you’re unsure, run your bowl and beaters through the dishwasher, wash well with Dawn dish soap or wipe down with vinegar.
More Berry Desserts You’ll Love:
- Classic Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Topped Cheesecake
- Fresh Fruit Pizza
- Strawberry Angel Food Dessert
- Peach Blueberry Galette
- Plus, if you want to make a full-sized cake, this Angel Food Cake Recipe is divine!
- More Dessert Recipes
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablepoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt (my addition)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh berries, I used raspberries and blackberries
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line jellyroll pan (mine is 10 1/2 x 15 1/2″) with parchment and set aside.
- Whip egg whites and cream of tartar in stand mixer till soft peaks form. Slowly add 3/4 cup of the superfine sugar while continuing to whip at medium speed . Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and the almond extract and whip till stiff peaks form.
- Sift 3/4 cup of superfine sugar with the flour and repeat two more times. Fold into the egg whites until incorporated, taking care not to deflate the whites.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake 20 minutes or till cake springs back when touched lightly with your finger. Cool on rack, then remove to a cutting board, leaving parchment paper on until ready to cut.
- Whip cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Gently toss berries with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- To serve, remove parchment paper from cake and cut rounds with a 2 inch cookie cutter. With white side up, place a cake round on plate, top with a few berries, then a tablespoon of the whipped cream, another cake round, and finally more berries and cream. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Emeril.
You can make your own superfine sugar by pulsing granulated sugar in your food processor a few times.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g