I was hosting brunch at my house and that called for a lovely fruit-filled dessert. This Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle features layers of sweetened berries doused with Amaretto, angel food cake cubes and luscious cheesecake filling lightened with whipped cream.
A Heavenly Trifle
A fruit and cream dessert is perfect for a mid-day treat. Sliced berries were sweetened and then dosed with a bit of Amaretto. The cheesecake layer was composed of cream cheese and sour cream, then a billowy cloud of whipped cream was folded in. Not exactly health food, but definitely lighter fare than so many other dessert options! You know it’s a hit when the men at the table start inquiring about the ingredients. They do combine beautifully for a delicious party in your mouth with every bite.
The berries the last few months have been lackluster, but I was thrilled to find some marvelous ripe gems at the market. This trifle would not be nearly as tasty with frozen or pale tasteless berries. Save this recipe for strawberry season or around the holidays when you can often find some lovely berries. The servings vary on the size of your trifle bowl, but this does feed a crowd. If you don’t have a trifle bowl, any clear container will do. The glorious layers will wow your guests!
More Christmas Week Recipes and the HUGE Giveaway!
Welcome to Day 2 of Christmas Week. This annual event was started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes for the event. Plus we all chipped in for a huge Amazon Gift Card Giveaway so be sure to enter! Click over to my Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes Post to enter this holiday giveaway. Open to those in the US and Canada.
Recipes from Day 2 of Christmas Week! Please visit all our talented participants:
- Mini Peanut Butter Cup Christmas Crack aka Chocolate Saltine Toffee from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Caramel and Chocolate Fudge from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Bliss White Chocolate Bark from Cupcakes to Kale Chips
- Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls from Food Done Light
- Maple Doodles from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Blue & White Christmas Bark from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Spiced Pear and Cranberry Coffee Cake from From Gate to Plate
- Cranberry Cake with Orange Glaze from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (to add to cream)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (to add to cream)
- Cake layer:
- 1 angel food cake, cut into cubes (I only used half a large bakery angel food cake)
- 2-3 pounds of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced (I used about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto, optional
- In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and sugar; add sour cream, vanilla and almond extracts. Set aside. In a small deep metal chilled bowl, whip the cream, vanilla and sugar. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Set aside.
- Combine strawberries, sugar and Amaretto. Layer in large glass trifle pedestal bowl, starting with strawberries, then a layer of cake, followed by a layer of the cheesecake filling. Repeat, ending with the filling.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill well before serving.