These “Better Than” Twix Bars have a shortbread crust, decadent layer of caramel and chocolate glaze. Perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Homemade Twix Bars
My extraordinary and inspiring baking friend, Danielle, and I have started a monthly recipe challenge. We each pick one recipe from each other’s blog and share it on the second Monday of the month. In November, I made her amazing Caramel Brownies, we took December off, and now it’s time for another go around!
I have made her Better Than Twix Bars before, but it was in my first few months of blogging. I had approximately 1.2 followers. I needed a show-stopping recipe for a Christmas cookie exchange and I picked these from the oodles of recipes of Danielle’s I had bookmarked.
Chocolate Caramel Dessert Sensation!
The crisp shortbread base on these homemade twix bars does tend to crumble when you cut into these decadent babies, but the taste will make up for any imperfections. Cookies + Caramel + Milk Chocolate = Exquisite Twix Bars!!!!
Thanks, Danielle, for sharing your baking creativity week after week. I still need you to visit me and give me a piping and cookie decorating intervention. You’d better pack for a week!!!! xo
You may need these supplies to make this homemade twix bars recipe:
- 2 sticks cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 20 ounces Kraft caramels, unwrapped of course! (about 1 1/2 bags)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 18 ounces milk chocolate, melted (I used Ghirardelli Bars rather than chips)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (optional, I used)
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 350°. Line 9" x 13" pan with nonstick foil. Set aside.
- Using a pastry blender cut butter into sugar. Use fingers to break up butter, till mixture resembles cornmeal. Add vanilla. Add the flour. Mix till flour is incorporated...mixture will be crumbly.
- Press it evenly into the pan. Lightly flouring your fingertips will help with any sticking.
- Prick the crust all over with a fork.
- Bake 15 minutes until the crust is lightly golden brown on top and the edges are deeper golden brown. Set it aside to cool completely.
- For the caramel layer: Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in a small saucepan. (or use microwave, stopping and stirring at 30-60 second intervals till smooth and melted). Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill and firm up.
- For the Chocolate Layer: Melt the chocolate and shortening in by microwaving using 30-second increments, stopping and stirring till melted and smooth. Spread over caramel. I used a plastic frosting tool to make optional striations while the chocolate was warm.
- Let cool before cutting.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 136mg Carbohydrates: 43g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 31g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g