When you can’t decide between vanilla and chocolate, whip up this exquisite Marbled Flourless Chocolate Cake for a decadent dessert!!!
Marbled Flourless Chocolate Cake
Some dear friends were invited to dine at Chez Skinny Chick on Saturday night…and the menu was set, except for dessert. Fall off the bone baby back ribs, freshly picked Indiana sweet corn, crispy smashed potatoes, sherried Vidalia onions…something light and fruity would have been ideal for the finale. But I always like to bake up something chocolate for company..rich, intense and always decadent. I have oodles of flourless chocolate cakes and lava cakes on my blog, but I spotted a unique Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Cake on the Fine Cooking website…and every single Abby Dodge recipe I’ve tried has been phenomenal.
Yeah, yeah, the marbling needs a bit of work. The more I swirled, the worse it looked. And in my efforts to do an aesthetic intervention, the San Andreas fault and its counterparts appeared across the surface. Taste = AMAZING. Looks = Mediocre. And I know I’m the only one in my clan that gives two hoots about a dessert’s appearance, so I have to call this a bonafide success. And it’s my featured post for this month’s Improv Challenge hosted by Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. Our theme was to combine Chocolate and Vanilla in a dish. DONE! Make sure to scroll down and see all the divine chocolate and vanilla creations shared by my Improv friends. And please feel free to make this marvelous Marbled Flourless Chocolate Cake for your next dinner party. It will not disappoint!Print
Marbled Flourless Chocolate Cake
This exquisite Chocolate and Vanilla Cake was adapted from Fine Cooking
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 42 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 12 mins
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
For the vanilla batter:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate batter:
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 10 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch table salt
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 300°. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- To make the vanilla batter, beat the softened cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and continue beating until well blended and smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and beat just until blended. Set aside.
- To make the chocolate batter, melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Whisk until smooth and set aside to cool slightly. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, rum, vanilla, and salt on medium high until the mixture is pale and thick, 3 to 4 min. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the chocolate mixture and continue beating until well blended.
- Spread about half of the chocolate batter in the bottom of the pan. Alternately add large scoopfuls of each of the remaining batters to the cake pan. Using a knife, carefully swirl the two batters together so they’re mixed but not completely blended. Tap the pan against on your counter several times level the batters.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted about 2 inches from edges comes out with a few moist crumbs, but no gooey batter, about 40-42 minutes. Cool on rack about 1-1/2 hours.Remove sides of springform pan and use spatulas to remove cake to serving plate.Cover and refrigerate until cold.
To serve, slice with a knife dipped in hot water, then dried.
‘); // ]]>
Linked to Weekend Potluck~