Homemade Sausage Mushroom Pizza
I whipped up this Homemade Sausage Mushroom Pizza from scratch, with our favorite toppings plus an easy to make homemade yeast dough!
I’ve used a lot of cheater pizza crusts over the years, but I’ve finally found a homemade pizza dough recipe that’s worth the extra effort.
Homemade Sausage Mushroom Pizza
It’s always a battle when we order pizza. The daughter wants plain cheese, I’d love anything full of veggies and mushrooms, and the guys want the heart attack, meat lovers’ special! This carb lover always yearns to make one of the best pan pizza recipes, too.
I fell for the combination of sausage, mushroom, and black olives when we ordered carryout pizza at my in-laws. That was my intention with this pizza until I saw the black olives sitting on the counter when the pie was in the oven. But the puffy homemade crust made up for my omission.
Tips for Making a Homemade Pizza Recipe
Making this sausage mushroom pizza entails a little planning. Of course, it’s easier to have some premade dough in the fridge, ready to go, but with a stand mixer and an hour set aside, a fabulous homemade crust can be yours. Plus, this homemade pizza dough recipe is a heck of a lot better than dough out of a can, I guarantee.
- This pizza dough is made with yeast, so it requires one hour of proofing time in a warm spot.
- I used the dough hook on my stand mixer to do all the kneading, so it took little effort to get the dough ready to rise. It can also be kneaded by hand.
- I’m a fan of Red Star Platinum Yeast, which is an instant yeast. It’s not necessary to dissolve it in water, but I still do.
- PRO-Tip: Make sure your water isn’t too hot (I aim for 110-115 º) or it will kill your yeast. I have never had a failure using this yeast (as long as I make sure it is not expired).
- I love the combination of ingredients on this homemade pizza, but go ahead and top with any of your favorite pizza toppings!
More Pizza Recipes You’ll Love:
- 5-Minute Pizza Sauce from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- The Best Pan Pizza: How, Why, and What to Put on It by Foodie with Family
- Pizza Margherita
- Fresh Fruit Pizza
- Plus, you might enjoy this Braided Stromboli Recipe
- More Main Dish Recipes
Find More Pizza, Pasta and Italian Recipes on my Pinterest Board!
Dough for two pizzas:
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading and rolling
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelope instant yeast (I use Red Star Platinum Yeast)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the bowl and drizzle
Toppings for one pizza:
- 3-4 plum tomatoes, sliced thinly and drained on paper towels
- 2 mild Italian sausage links, removed from casings, crumbled and cooked
- 4-6 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed in butter
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Salt, pepper, dried oregano to season
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a dough hook and combine. While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough seems very sticky, add a tablespoon or two more flour. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead into a ball on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the dough into a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm spot until doubled in size, about an hour. Return the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Cover each piece of dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 450 degrees. Take one piece of the dough and pat into a 14-inch crust on a sheet of parchment, using flour if needed. Top with sliced tomatoes, sausage, mushrooms and cheese. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, dried oregano and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. With a pizza peel, slide pizza and parchment onto the pizza stone. Alternatively, you can use a pizza pan, but I like the crispier crust that forms when the pizza sits right on the stone.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned. Remove using pizza peel to a cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 853Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 1806mgCarbohydrates: 103gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 36g