Homemade Buttermilk Waffles are a classic breakfast dish that can be easily made at home!
Homemade Buttermilk Waffles
Bill makes pancakes or waffles with bacon nearly every weekend…under the guise of “for Katie” or “for Nick.” Yeah, we all know they’re for him.
His secret recipe for both these dishes involves a box, some milk, and eggs. So I decided to treat him to some Buttermilk Waffles from scratch. A new concept.
Better Than the Box Mix
The first recipe I used was one similar to his mom’s recipe. Whipped egg whites were folded into the waffle batter to make a lovely, light waffle. Well, I guess I’m the one who likes this version. The leftovers stayed parked in the fridge till I tossed them a few days later. Back to the drawing board.
I used almost exactly the same ingredients, but this recipe eliminated the step of beating and gently adding the whites to the mix. That was fine with me. I knew I could find a recipe BETTER than the box. No fru-fru fluffy waffles for my man. No sirree. These buttermilk waffles passed Mr. Persnickety’s taste test with flying colors.
If you’d like to incorporate more homemade recipes into your breakfast menu, check out these Perfect Pancakes and Crepes. The Best Cinnamon Rolls, Baked Denver Omelet, and Best Dutch Baby Pancake are also winners!
PRO-Tip: If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, you can easily make it at home. Measure one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar into a one cup liquid measuring cup, then add milk to the one-cup line. Mix and let sit for a few minutes before using.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Combine the liquid and dry ingredients and mix until almost combined (don't overmix).
- Cook according to your waffle maker's instructions. Serve warm with butter, syrup and/or fresh berries.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour.