Around the holidays, a festive baked Brie is the perfect appetizer. This irresistible Cranberry Brie en Croute is topped with herbed cranberry sauce and wrapped in flaky puffed pastry.
Cranberry Brie en Croute
I know I’ve developed a winning recipe when I get the picky husband to eat a food he claims to despise (actually he fibs and says he’s “allergic”). After decades of marriage, I finally witnessed him ingest cranberries! He’s snubbed my holiday Cranberry Fluff Salad for years. Sigh.
Yes, he was a huge fan of this baked brie. I served cranberry Brie for our holiday cookie exchange, where it nearly disappeared. But there were enough leftovers so Bill could make himself a few nibbles before dinner. There are SO many amazing Baked Brie Recipes to try if cranberries really aren’t your thing.
Yes, this is just THAT good! Plus, it tasted amazing with a glass of Pinot Grigio. The crisp, refreshing citrus and green apple undertones paired exquisitely with this Cranberry Brie en Croute.
Tips for Making Baked Brie
Even if your results aren’t worthy of being featured in a magazine, you will still have an amazing appetizer. Here are some tips I’ve learned along the way. First, remember that puff pasty puffs best when it is COLD and the oven is HOT. My procedure goes as follows:
- Carefully cut the rind off the top of your Brie. This will be the top side when you bake.
- Roll and cut out a round of puff pastry which is big enough to totally encase the cheese. Add the topping to the center of the puff pastry. Place the Brie, cut side down, over the the topping.
- Fold the pastry over the cheese, making sure it’s all covered (you can patch with scraps if needed). Use an egg wash to seal the creases.
- Once sealed, flip back over and brush with egg wash.
- If desired, cut out decorative shapes with leftover puff pasty. “Glue” them on the top with egg wash, then brush with egg wash.
- PRO-Tip: I chill the uncooked wrapped Brie for about 20 minutes, so the puff pastry is cold. Then bake in a hot oven. Puff pastry “puffs” more efficiently when the dough is cold and the oven is hot.
- Wait at least 20 minutes before cutting into the Brie so the cheese can firm up slightly. Bon appetit!
More Brie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Bacon Brie Burger from Country Cleaver
- Bacon Apple and Brie Crostini from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkey Bacon Brie Grilled Cheese from Wine and Glue
- Strawberry Bacon Brie Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry Orange Brie Crostini from Two Peas and Their Pod
More New Year’s Eve Menu Ideas
End of the Year Appetizers & Mains
- Butternut Squash Queso Fundido Dip by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cranberry Brie en Croute by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta by Pies and Plots
- Honey Shrimp Puffs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pan Roasted Veal Chops with Red Grapes by Cooking On The Ranch
Happy New Year Hors d’Oeuvres
- Persimmon Apple Cider Mimosas by Caroline’s Cooking
- Salami, Cream Cheese, and Pepperoncini Roll-Ups by Positively Stacey
- Sausage Stuffed Jalapeno Popper Cups by Gourmet Everyday
- Thai Sausage Rolls by Sunday Supper Movement
- Three Cheese Pepperoni Bread by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings by Bites of Wellness
Cranberry Brie en Croute
An elegant Baked Brie recipe that’s perfect for any gathering!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Cuisine: Appetizer
- 1 12.3 ounce Round of Brie*
- 1 package of frozen puff pastry, thawed (I use Dufour brand. Look for butter in the ingredients for the best result)
- 3/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 egg (beaten with 1 teaspoon water), to glaze
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line baking sheet with [easyazon_link identifier="B00K282KY4" locale="US" tag="thskchcaba-20"]parchment paper[/easyazon_link] and set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry to smooth seams. Cut out a large round and place on [easyazon_link identifier="B00282JL7G" locale="US" tag="thskchcaba-20"]baking sheet[/easyazon_link]. Reserve scraps to decorate, if desired.
- Cut rind off the top of the Brie.
- Mix together cranberry sauce, dried cranberries and rosemary. Spoon over the center of the puff pastry round. Place the cut side of the Brie centered over the cranberry sauce. Fold puff pasty over the top of the Brie sealing overlapping pastry with egg glaze. Flip over and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
- [easyazon_link identifier="B000JPSI8C" locale="US" tag="thskchcaba-20"]Brush[/easyazon_link] with egg mixture, decorate with scraps cut into shapes (I made leaves and berries), brush with egg wash again. Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with crackers or toasts.
*This was the weight of the Brie I purchased. 8 or 16 ounce rounds will work, too, but the number of portions will vary. You may need to use less of the cranberry topping with a smaller Brie or make two!
- Calories: 366kcal
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 366mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 64mg