Chocolate Poke Brownies: A simple technique allows the ganache to seeps INTO the brownies!!! An ultra decadent brownie is the result!
Chocolate Poke Brownies
Do you remember those poke cakes that originated in the ’70s? Usually, a boxed cake mix baked in a 9 x 13, then poked with the end of a wooden spoon after baked and topped with jello. If you were lucky, yours would be iced with Kool-Whip. Well, these Chocolate Poke Brownies easily trump those outdated confections. Chocolate nirvana to be precise. And as my friends commented, a magical cross between brownies and fudge.
A Retro Technique
A basic, but delicious brownie was baked, and then almost immediately poked with holes across the surface with the handle end of a wooden spoon. Then, when the luscious ganache topping was poured over the top, it also seeped deep into the brownie, creating a totally fudgy dessert.
My girlfriends swooned, as did my family. Bill has been trying to limit his sweets to keep his trim, post-surgical physique, but he looked a bit forlorn when I sent the majority of leftovers home with Tom after he stopped by for dinner one night. These are sure to please the chocoholics in your life.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour, sifted
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with nonstick foil or greased foil.
- Put 1 1/2 sticks of butter and the chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave on high power for 1 minute, stop, stir and repeat at 30 second increments till the chocolate is melted. Add sugar and whisk until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the flour and whisk to combine. Add another egg and whisk to combine. Alternate adding the remaining flour and egg, whisking well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake about 25-30 minutes (brownies will have risen and toothpick inserted into center will come out clean).
- Make topping while brownies are baking. Combine the butter, cocoa powder, and cream in a saucepan and heat until the butter melts and the mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and whisk until smooth. Put the sifted powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla extract to the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the brownies from the oven. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes into the brownies every 1 to 2 inches. While it is still warm, pour the Fudgy Topping over the brownies and smooth it with an offset spatula. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
Adapted from Hugs and Cookies and Emeril.
Total time does not include cooling time.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 2g
Two Sweetie Pies
One of my first blogger friends, Danielle, and I created this monthly blog exchange over a year ago. We each bake (or cook) up a recipe from each other’s blog and share on the second Monday of the month. You can find all our recipes with a search using the #TwoSweetiePies hashtag. And be sure to follow Danielle on her social media sites and blog:
Thanks, Danielle, for another amazing recipe!