Chocolate Coma Sandwich Cookies
These Chocolate Coma Sandwich Cookies are dreamy, super-rich chocolate cookies filled with a luscious chocolate ganache! Not for the faint of heart, these chocolate gems are for the die-hard chocoholics!
A double dose of chocolate cookies plus ganache may not put you into a true coma, but these Chocolate Sandwich Cookies will be impossible to forget!
Why You’ll Love these Sandwich Cookies
- They’re chocolate chocolate chip cookies filled with chocolate ganache! That’s a TON of chocolate!
- Move over Oreos! They may not be health food, but you’ll know exactly what’s in these gems.
- A half or even one cookie is all you need to satisfy that chocolate craving. These are super-rich cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Sandwich Cookies?
Sandwich cookies or sandwich biscuits are two thin cookies with a filling that holds them together. Fillings can include frosting, ice cream, ganache, cream cheese, chocolate, peanut butter, etc. The Oreo is a well-known example.
How Are Sandwich Cookies Made?
Sandwich cookies are made by joining two cookies together with a sweet filling. The term “sandwich” cookie comes from the similarity to an ordinary sandwich where two slices of bread are joined together with a variety of fillings.
How Do You Store these Chocolate Sandwich Cookies?
Store these sandwich cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, but bring them to room temperature to serve. They will also freeze well for 2-3 months if kept airtight. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
How to Make Cookies with Chocolate Filling
This recipe, found in Sunset, utilized 12 ounces of melted chocolate plus 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips, then another 6 ounces in the dreamy chocolate ganache. Nick snatched up a couple of these babies before I had a chance to fill them. He must have missed the standard food blogger memo about family members needing to check on the status of desserts before diving in.
- Make the cookie dough, cover, and chill.
- Use a cookie scoop to make dough balls and roll them between your palms to make them as round as possible.
- Bake and cool the cookies.
- Make and chill the ganache until it reaches a spreadable consistency, about an hour.
- Match up similarly sized cookies and spread or pipe the ganache on the flat side of each pair of cookies. Top with the second cookie.
- Chill so the ganache firms up again.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, but bring to room temperature before serving.
Tips for Making Sandwich Cookies:
- PRO-Tip: Use a cookie disher to scoop out cookie dough onto the baking sheet. This will ensure the cookies are of a similar size when baked and will be easier to match up a top and bottom cookie.
- Roll the dough balls between your palms to make them nice and round, then place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- PRO-Tip: Since the cookies are full of chocolate chips, they may not bake into perfect circles As soon as they come out of the oven, use a spatula to tap the perimeter of any misshapen cookies making them as round as possible. The baking sheet will be hot, so use an oven mitt and be careful.
- Before you start filling the cookies, pair up similarly sized and shaped cookies. Doing this ahead of time will help prevent having only a larger and smaller cookie left at the end!
- Let the cookies cool before filling. Also, let ganache cool until it’s a spreadable consistency.
- I liked piping on the ganache with a star tip for a pretty swirl visible between the cookies. But using a knife or offset spatula to smooth on the filling works well, too.
- PRO-Tip: If you like a more intense chocolate flavor, substitute bittersweet chocolate for the semisweet. You can also up the espresso powder to 1 tablespoon for a bigger mocha boost.
More Chocolate Cookies You’ll Love:
- German Chocolate Cookies from Handle the Heat
- Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies
- Layered Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Milky Way Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks
- Rolo Brownie Cookies
- More of the Best Homemade Chocolate Recipes
- More of the Best Cookie Recipes
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
For the ganache:
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Make cookies: Put chopped chocolates and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 30 with 30-second increments, stopping and stirring each time till melted and smooth; let cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate mixture until evenly mixed, then stir in chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill until firm enough to hold its shape, about an hour.
- Meanwhile, make ganache: Put chopped chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 30-second intervals, till melted and smooth, then let cool.
- Cover and chill, stirring occasionally, until firm enough to spread, about 2 hours. If the ganache becomes too firm to spread, you may zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough, roll into rounds, then place on prepared sheets onto sheets about 1 inch apart. Press dough to flatten to about a ½ inch thickness.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until the tops lose their wet look, but don't overbake. Let cookies cool on sheets on racks.
- Spread or pipe the ganache on flat sides of half of the cookies with ganache and top with the remaining cookies.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine.
Pair up similarly sized cookies to make each sandwich.
To pipe on the ganache, use a large, open star-tip and a piping bag.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although thatskinnychickcanbake.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Also, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com recommend toppings, which may or may not be listed as optional and nutritional information for these added toppings is not listed. Other factors may change the nutritional information such as when the salt amount is listed “to taste,” it is not calculated into the recipe as the amount will vary. Also, different online calculators can provide different results. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information obtained is accurate.