Chocolate Coma Sandwich Cookies: Dreamy, super rich chocolate cookies filled with chocolate ganache! Not for the faint of heart, these chocolate gems are for the die hard chocoholics!
Chocolate Coma Sandwich Cookies
Nick, my college sophomore, was home for a weekend visit. Miss Lambeau wasn’t doing well…and we wanted him to have some time with her as we knew we’d have to say goodbye to her soon. Intensely decadent chocolate desserts are a must when one of the boys comes home…whether for dinner or an overnight stay. Calling these Chocolate Coma Sandwich cookies “decadent” would be an understatement. Let me explain why…
Chocolate Overload Cookies
This recipe, found in Sunset, utilized 12 ounces of melted chocolate plus 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, then another 6 ounces in the dreamy chocolate ganache. Nick snatched up a couple of these babies before I had a chance to fill them. He must have missed the standard food blogger memo about family members needing to check on the status of desserts before diving in.
Anyhow, the point is, he was found in a chocolate coma after eating two of these cookies without the filling. There were a lot of moans and groans of pleasure when these were actually sampled in sandwich form. I offered to cut them in half, but the chocoholics would not have that…they’re gluttons for punishment!
Note: If you like a more intense chocolate flavor, substitute bittersweet chocolate for the semisweet. You can also up the espresso powder to 1 tablespoon for a bigger mocha boost.Print
Chocolate Coma Sandwich Cookies
Dreamy chocolate overload cookies filled with chocolate ganache
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 44 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teasspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- Make cookies: Put chopped chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 with 30 second increments, stopping and stirring each time till melted and smooth; let cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla into chocolate mixture. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate mixture until evenly mixed, then stir in chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill until firm enough to hold its shape, about an hour.
- Meanwhile, make ganache: Put chopped chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals, till melted and smooth, then let cool. Cover and chill, stirring occasionally, until firm enough to spread, about 2 hours. If ganache becomes too firm to spread, you may zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough, roll into rounds, then place on prepared sheets onto sheets about 1 inch apart. Press dough to flatten to about a ½ inch thickness. Bake about 10 minutes, till tops lose their wet look, but don’t overbake. Let cookies cool on sheets on racks.
- Spread flat sides of half of cookies with ganache and top with remaining cookies.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine.
Total time does not include chilling time.
We said farewell to our sweet girl on Tuesday. RIP, Lambeau. October 16, 1999-February 18, 2014…