Ultra smooth and creamy, this heart shaped Chocolate Coeur a la Creme is the epitome of a Valentine’s Day dessert! You won’t believe how simple it is to make!
Chocolate Coeur a la Creme
After a year long debate with myself, I finally purchased a coeur a la creme mold. My pantries were full of odds and ends of specialty pans and trays, many of which were collecting dust. But the urge to make this lovely dessert did not dissipate, so I took the plunge and bought the heart shaped ceramic dish with drainage holes in the bottom.
I’m sure you’re not surprised that I tested out my new mold with a dreamy chocolate version! Heart shaped desserts are an incredible way to end your Valentine’s Day dinner. But I don’t think anyone would pass up this dessert all the other days of the year! These sandwich cookies are also a holiday family favorite.
Heart with Cream
Coeur á la Crème is French for “Heart with Cream,” and I can think of nothing more apropos for the most romantic day of the year, Valentine’s Day. Defined as a heart-shaped dessert, it’s typically made of cream cheese whipped with cream or sour cream, then placed in a wicker or cheesecloth lined mold to allow any excess liquid to drain.
Note the classic, fine, crosshatched markings across the surface from the cheesecloth. More traditionally garnished with strawberries, I think raspberries were also a divine pairing. Especially since I adore chocolate with raspberries!
How Do You Celebrate Valentine’s Day?
Do you head out for a romantic dinner? Or do you dine in? After nearly 3 decades of marriage, the hubby and I enjoy a cozy, home cooked meal followed by a chocolate (of course) dessert. This chocolate coeur a la creme, served over a puddle of raspberry sauce, thrilled my Valentine. Don’t you think yours would be just as enamored???
More Heart Shaped Holiday Recipes:
- Heart Shaped Strawberry Hand Pies from Well Plated
- Coeur a la Creme with Raspberry Sauce from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Heart-Shaped Valentine Oreos from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Heart Shaped Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes from Barbara Bakes
Chocolate Coeur a la Creme
A creamy, chocolate heart shaped dessert that’s perfect for your Valentine.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixing, Chilling
- Cuisine: French
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- Raspberry sauce or puree and fresh raspberries, to garnish, optional
- Line a 2 cup capacity coeur a la creme mold with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth, making sure to have enough overhang to fold back over to cover dessert.
- Combine 1/2 cup whipping cream and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat till butter melts. Whisk in cocoa powder till smooth hand mixer if needed). Let cool.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla in small bowl till smooth. Add cocoa mixture and mix to combine. Add the remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream and beat until well blended. Spoon mixture into the coeur a la creme mold. Fold cheesecloth over top. Place the mold on a rack with a pan beneath and allow to drain in the refrigerator at least 8 hours.
- To serve, remove cheesecloth. Garnish with raspberry sauce and fresh berries if desired.
Total time does not include draining time.
More Valentine’s Day Desserts You’ll Love:
- Chocolate Coconut Haystacks by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Coeur a la Creme by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Deep Dish Red Velvet Brownies for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Creamy Lemon Tart by Magnolia Days
- Mocha Fudge by Alida’s Kitchen
- Polenta Cake with Honey Yogurt and Peach Preserves by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Raspberry Custard by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Meringue Hearts by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Brownie by Flavor Mosaic
- Valentine’s Day Cream Puffs by Ruffles & Truffles