Chewy Orange Crinkle Cookies
These Chewy Orange Crinkle Cookies are a soft, scrumptious orange-flavored sugar cookie that’s perfect for citrus lovers.
I was heading out to Denver to visit my sister and she asked if I could bring along some Orange Cookies, something I’ve never thought of making! I baked up this easy Crinkle Cookie Recipe, then packed them in my suitcase and schlepped them through two airports to their final destination.
Chewy Orange Crinkles Cookies
When I was in Denver last fall, my sister had a package of Orange Crinkles on her counter. Though they were a tasty store-bought version, I knew I needed to deliver a batch of homemade orange cookies on my next visit.
There were loads of recipes for lemon crinkle cookies, but the orange variety was scarce. I just combined and tweaked a few of the former, adding orange zest and orange extract to amp up the citrus flavor. The results were these terrific chewy orange crinkles cookies. If you’re hankering for an orange dessert, these cookies or this Cream Cheese Frosted Orange Cake will satisfy your cravings! Or try these Orange Sweet Rolls for breakfast!
The Cooking Actress
I love my young, talented and fun blogger friends, and that’s exactly how I think of Kayle. I try not to remember that I’m old enough to be her mother, but instead view her as a contemporary. She and her husband moved back to Ohio from New York City and have been planning their wedding ever since. She loves to bake, too, so of course, we hit it off immediately.
You’ll have to pop over to Kayle’s blog to get this recipe. While you’re there, extend your best wishes for her upcoming nuptials. Also, make sure to bake up a batch of these chewy Orange Crinkles cookies for the citrus lovers in your life. And if lemon is more your thing, try using lemon zest and extract instead.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ teaspoon orange extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Sugar, for rolling dough balls
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the sugar and orange zest. Using fingers massage the zest into the sugar to release the essential oils.
- Add butter and beat with a hand mixer till light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed and mix in eggs and extracts. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then slowly mix in the flour mixture just till combined.
- Scoop out about 1½ tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Roll dough balls in sugar and place them on the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until cookies look crackled and bottoms slightly browned.
- Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to the cooling rack to finish cooling.
Substitute lemon zest and lemon extract for Lemon Crinkles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g