This Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche sure hit the spot when we needed a meatless meal for dinner. Bill was dropping not so subtle hints about making tuna casserole, so I was delighted that this egg and veggie pie was a home run.
A Meatless Meal
When I was first married, the only seafood Bill would eat was canned tuna and canned salmon–in casserole recipes from his mom. I’m happy to say I’ve expanded his horizons and he now enjoys shrimp, salmon, crab and even the occasional halibut. But when Lent rolls around, he gets a hankering for tuna casserole made with a can of cream of mushroom soup. This is the same casserole my mom OD’d my dad on when they were newlyweds. I actually don’t mind it, but I can’t handle the mega dose of sodium. So I pretend his repeated requests don’t register and figure out another meatless option. This loaded Mediterranean quiche was last week’s winner. I’ll make him his darn tuna casserole next Friday.
The base of this quiche is nothing special. Eggs, half and half and some seasonings are the usual suspects. I added some defrosted frozen chopped spinach, red bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes and chunks of feta to push this to the next level. It made a magnificent Friday night meal, then a terrific weekend breakfast. I’m pretty sure this will become a regular on the Lent rotation! What is your favorite meatless meal??
Eggtastic Recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers:
Today, the Sunday Supper team is sharing their favorite recipes featuring eggs. As Easter approached, my mom would buy a couple dozen eggs, pierce each end with a large needle and blow out the insides. We’d dye them and she’d hang them from a flowering branch in our living room. I think we ate loads of scrambled eggs on those days leading up to Easter. She needed this list!
Appetizers & Sides
- Classic Deviled Eggs from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Classic Deviled Eggs(-alad Sandwiches) from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Easter Deviled Egg Chicks from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Momma’s Meals
- Ham and Swiss Deviled Eggs from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Hrudka – Ukrainian Egg Cheese for Easter from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Popper Deviled Eggs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoky Deviled Bacon And Eggs from Taste And See
- Spicy Sriracha Deviled Eggs from An Appealing Plan
Main Dishes (Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Brinner and Dinner!)
- Achiote Pulled Pork and Black Bean Huevos Rancheros from Cooking on The Ranch
- Asparagus Sausage Skillet with Egg from Wholistic Woman
- Avocado Egg Chilaquiles from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Baked Eggs in Cream from Tramplingrose
- Baked Scotch Eggs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chorizo, Dubliner, and Vegetable Quiche from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich from My Imperfect Kitchen
- Classic Shirred Eggs with Gruyere and Ham from The Weekend Gourmet
- Egg Biryani from Food Lust People Love
- Fri-Tot-Ta from Feeding Big
- Hashbrown Egg Nests from The TipToe Fairy
- Italian Style Stuffed Bread from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Jalapeño Popper Quiche from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Japanese Egg Crepes (Kinshi Tamago) from NinjaBaker.com
- Low Carb Breakfast Pizza from My Life Cookbook
- Make Ahead & Freeze Omelette Cups from Hardly A Goddess
- Mediterranean Frittata from A Mind “Full” Mom
- Mini Frittata with Asparagus and Six Italian Cheeses from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Papas con Huevos (Potato and Egg Tacos) from Kitchen Gidget
- Pasta Carbonara with Shrimp and Leeks from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Poached Eggs over Roasted Asparagus from Monica’s Table
- Potato, Egg and Cheese Scramble from And She Cooks
- Spaghetti with Fried Eggs from The Texan New Yorker
- Steak Benedict from Palatable Pastime
- Steak Omelette from From Gate to Plate
- Sunny Side Up Burger from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex-Mex Migas from Caroline’s Cooking
- Toad in the Hole Breakfast Sandwiches from Daily Dish Recipes
- Tomato Asiago Frittata from Books n’ Cooks
- Yemeni Shakshouka (Yemeni Spiced Scrambled Eggs) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Creamy Flan from The Freshman Cook
- Creme Anglaise from The Redhead Baker
- Croquembouche from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Dark Chocolate Mousse from The Chef Next Door
- Orange Coconut Bundt Cake from Desserts Required
- Pavlova with Strawberry Curd from Love and Confections
- Pistachio Chai Baked Alaska from The Crumby Cupcake
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Pies and Plots
- Plus Curried Egg Salad on Toasted Naan and More Eggtastic Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pastry crust, homemade or store-bought
- ½ red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and diced
- 5 ounces of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (half a 10-ounce box)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained well and chopped
- 4 ounces cubed feta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of half and half
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Line a 10½ inch tart pan with a prepared or homemade pastry crust. Line with non-stick foil and top with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Layer the crust with the red bell pepper, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and feta. Whisk together eggs, then stir in half and half and seasonings until well blended. Gently pour egg mixture over the filling.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes or till the center is set. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.