Summer Vegetable Salad
When putting together a salad, I start with the greens. We typically have a box of spinach in the fridge, so that was my base. A couple ears of fresh corn, an English cucumber, carrots plus a juicy ripe tomato were cut into bite sized pieces. I aim for a rainbow of veggies. A can of black beans and artichoke hearts rounded out the mix. My classic balsamic vinaigrette was drizzled atop the salad just before serving. Lots of crunch, a variety of textures and colors made for a terrific, refreshing side dish.
The Art of a Composed Salad
I am a fan of the composed salad. Instead of just tossing all the ingredients together in a salad bowl, the main components are artfully arranged. I often line the ingredients in rows across a platter, but when working with a bowl, wedges seem to make more sense. Begin with a base of greens, then decide on what goes where according to colors and shapes. Note how the carrots and beans are rounder items and they’re across from each other. The red bell peppers and the red tomatoes are also not adjacent. I thought the beans popped more when placed between the bright yellow corn and red tomatoes. There’s no real right or wrong, just use your judgment and it will be lovely!! I did notice a little pile of black beans on the hubster’s plate when clearing the plates. Shake up the ingredients any way you like. Some cheese chunks would be would be a great substitute for those beans. I love hearts of palm, too, and use them interchangeably with artichoke hearts. Make sure you try my favorite balsamic vinaigrette (link in the recipe). Just make sure to use a good quality vinegar for the best results.
More Summer Corn Recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers:
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
You May Need:
- 5 ounces baby spinach, tough stems removed
- 2 ears fresh corn, cooked, then kernels sliced off the cob
- 1 tomato, cubed
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 jar artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- Black beans, I used about half a can, drained and rinsed
- My best Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Place spinach in a large serving bowl.
- Arrange toppings over spinach.
- Whisk vinaigrette and drizzle over salad before serving. Toss and serve.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.