I have been the crazy lady wearing multiple layers of fleece and long-sleeve yoga tops, finished off with a not-so-artfully placed woven scarf and Uggs while working at the computer. It’s been miserably cold…and as the hubby reminds me, I have a very narrow comfort zone. The negative temperatures we’ve been having need an additional 90º before I’m a happy camper. So it’s been the season of comfort foods…hearty, filling and delicious entrees like this Beef Burgundy Pasta. There’s every reason to crank up the oven and let beef, veggies and wine commingle and magically transform into a flavorful pasta topping.
We are huge fans of Julia Child’s classic Boeuf Bourguignon, and this recipe utilizes many of the same ingredients…but you shred the beef then add the meat, veggies and juices to penne pasta. I love using a chuck roast as it’s more flavorful than a leaner cut of beef, so make sure to remove some of the excess fat when prepping the meat. This has become a family favorite and I put it on the menu at least once in the dead of winter.
I used Gallo’s Hearty Burgundy in this dish…a wine which happened to be a staple in my family home….many decades ago. In fact, it’s been around since 1964. Gallo describes their burgundy as their original Red Blend….combining mouth-watering richness with flavors ranging from dark berry to red plum. It was perfect to cook with…and would be the perfect accompaniment to this Beef Burgundy Pasta. Scroll down to see all the spectacular dishes from the Sunday Supper crew featuring Gallo’s Hearty Burgundy.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1+ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Heat the oil in a large pot with a lid (like a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Brown roast on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan, and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and slivered garlic and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables and set aside.
- Return the pot roast to the pot and add the stock. Heat the meat and stock till the stock comes to a boil. Put the lid on the pot and place in the oven for an hour.
- Remove the pot from the oven, and slice the meat into ¼ inch slices. Return the meat to the pot.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, minced garlic, pepper, salt, thyme, bay leaf, red wine, and reserved vegetables. Bring to a boil, transfer pot to the oven, and bake, covered, until the meat is very tender, about1½ hours.
- Remove the meat and bay leaf from the pot, and allow to cool slightly. Shred the meat (removing any fatty areas) and return it to the pot. Add the parsley and mix to combine.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook at a rolling boil until just tender. Drain. Toss the sauce with the hot pasta.
- Fruity Burgundy Sangria by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry by Webicurean
- Beef Burgundy Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef by The Dinner-Mom
- Classic Coq au Vin by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cornish Beef Pasty with Burgundy Gravy by Neighborfood
- Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Majestic Burgundy Mushrooms & Cookie Cups with Burgundy Cream by NinjaBaking.com
- Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Oeufs en Meurette by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pollo Alla Cacciatorra (Hunter-Style Chicken) by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Salmon with Burgundy-Balsamic Glaze by girlichef
- Sausage & Mushroom Ragu by The Messy Baker
- Sausages in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms by Soni’s Food
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle by Hip Foodie Mom
- Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Berry Burgundy Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Red Wine Cherry Chocolate Bars by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Find where you can purchase Gallo Family Vineyards wines in your area with their store locator.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here—> Sunday Supper Movement.