I was watching an episode of The Chew a few weeks back. A mother and daughter had a Tiramisu show down…the mom with her traditional Italian version and her daughter’s with a more modern twist. I recreated the winner’s updated recipe. Using the harder, more cookie-like lady fingers was new for me…and I also loved the addition of Kahlua and Frangelico liqueurs. Plus her layered presentation was definitely more enticing than a dish full of mystery dessert sprinkled with cocoa powder.
I should have made these tiramisu parfaits in “to-go” cups. Tom, my oldest, is a coffee/mocha dessert lover like his mama, but the hubby…well, not so much. With Tom living downtown, he’s happy to schlep home any leftover desserts…to share with his roomies. But I didn’t plan ahead with these puppies. Tom did come by twice to get his fill of tiramisu…but the last one sat untouched in the fridge. My willpower was holding…and hubby had a stash of Oreos. Next time Tom will get the whole batch.
Tip of the day: Did you know you can buy pasteurized eggs? These are heated just enough to kill any salmonella which can be lingering on AND in raw eggs. So if you’re feeding a dish with raw eggs as an ingredient to the elderly, very young or immune-suppressed, it’s wise to use a pasteurized product. Safest Choice is the brand I can find locally.
- 24 lady fingers, crushed (use the harder biscuit lady fingers instead of the sponge cake lady fingers) 1 1/2 cups coffee
- 9 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua (or any coffee liqueur), divided
- 3 tablespoons Frangelico (or any hazelnut liqueur)
- Cocoa powder, to serve
- Mix together milk, coffee, 2 tablespoons Kahlua and 4 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl. Add the crushed lady fingers to soak.
- Beat together egg yolks and remaining tablespoon of sugar. Add the mascarpone cheese, remaining Kahlua and Frangelico.
- With a hand or stand mixer, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Spoon half of the soaked lady fingers between 8 ramekins, then top with a layer of the mascarpone mixture. Add a second layer of the soaked lady fingers and top with more mascarpone mixture Smooth tops. Cover each with a dusting of cocoa powder. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.