Oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips – Classic chewy oatmeal cookies get a dose of chocolate and almonds in this old fashioned oatmeal cookie recipe!
I get a major craving for oatmeal cookies about once a season and these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies hit the spot. Soft and chewy, they’re packed full of chocolate with a bonus of almond meal in the batter for extra protein and a textural boost.
Oatmeal Cookies with a Twist
Besides TWO different kind of chocolate chips, these oatmeal cookies have an unusual addition. I pulled some sliced almonds from the freezer and dumped them in my mini food processor. Pulsing the frozen nuts for a minute or two turned them into powdery almond flour or meal. Barely discernable except for a few flecks, which of course my family had to drill me about.
Nick was heading back to college and was game to sample one. Not usually a big oatmeal cookie fan, he enjoyed these enough to take some back to campus. They are chewy, soft and irresistible. I had to hide the remainder in my freezer to minimize temptation.
Not Really Health Food!
I wouldn’t categorize these oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips as health food, but this is a “healthier” oatmeal cookie recipe than my usual cookies. The oats and almond meal add fiber plus the eggs and almond meal both add protein. Just don’t eat a dozen at one sitting! Though you may be tempted.
Tools Needed to Make Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate ChipsPrint
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Double chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with a boost of texture from almond meal
- Yield: 3 dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup almond meal (you can make your own by whizzing about 3/4 cup frozen, sliced almonds in a food processor, till powdery)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract till well incorporated.
- Add the oats, almond meal, flour, baking powder and salt and mix till combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Gently flatten the cookies.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Other Favorite Oatmeal Cookies:
- Triple Threat Oatmeal Cookies
- Gingered Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries
Adapted from Roxana’s Home Baking.