Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ground oatmeal is the secret ingredient that makes these Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies one of my favorite indulgences!
The cookie dough is a twist on the famous Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies, but with two kinds of chocolate chips plus dried tart cherries.
Why You Must Make
- Ground oatmeal is the secret ingredient in the famous Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. And it’s the secret to this recipe, too!
- These also have chewy, tart, dried cherries, semisweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and pecans!
- Every bite is full of delicious texture and flavor.
- Oatmeal – I used old-fashioned oatmeal to grind for these cookies since they have more substance to them.
- Dried Cherries – Dried tart cherries are one of my favorite cookie additions. I buy the Montmorency variety at Trader Joe’s. Alternatives are raisins or craisins.
- Eggs, Butter – Have your eggs and butter at room temperature for easier incorporation.
- Chocolate – Chocolate chunks, chocolate discs, or chocolate chips all work well. It’s easier to scoop nice rounds with the smaller chocolate chips.
- Pecans – Toast your pecans before using to bring out their essential oils. This will bring out their flavor. Either heat pecan halves in a dry skillet, shaking frequently so they don’t burn or put in a the oven on a sheet pan for 6-8 minutes at 350°. Chop when cool.
- Start with the best ingredients. Use real butter, real vanilla extract, and some Montmorency dried cherries if you can find them (I love Trader Joe’s version).
- Make sure your baking powder has not expired (this is less often used in baking and often expires before you know it). Baking soda has a longer shelf life.
- PRO-Tip: Note what kind of oatmeal your recipe calls for before you start baking. There are regular rolled oats, steel-cut oats (coarser and chewier), and quick oats. Since this oatmeal is ground, I use regular rolled oats.
- As with most cookie recipes, have your butter and eggs at room temperature. This makes for easy incorporation.
- PRO-Tip: Mixing by hand or using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer are the best options. When making cookies, you don’t want to use a whisk attachment as it will incorporate too much air and make the cookies cakey, not chewy.
- Have the dough well mixed before adding in the chocolate and cherries.
- Use a cookie scoop for consistently sized cookies.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment for easy cleanup.
- PRO-Tip: For chewy cookies, do not overbake.
- If your cookies don’t bake up perfectly round, using a hot pad and spatula, hold onto the baking sheet with one hand and use the spatula to top the hot cookies into rounds.
You May Also Like:
- Chocolate Chip Biscotti from Miss in the Kitchen
- Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pie
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
- More of the Best Cookie Recipes
Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
A yummy oatmeal based cookie filled with chocolate and cherries!
- 2 ½ cups oatmeal
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperatre
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or discs
- 1 cup white chocolate chips of discs
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- Put 2 1/2 cups of oats into a food processor and blend into a powder. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda.
- Mix in chocolate chips and dried cherries.
- Roll into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls and place 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
Note: This post may contain affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links at no extra cost to you.
33 Comments on “Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies”
This was my first time using ground oatmeal, what a genius idea! We loved the flavor and texture of these cookies so much!
These were so perfect. Who doesn’t love cherry with chocolate. Can’t wait to make them again.
These cookies look scrumptious, I love the chocolate discs!
Love those huge chips!
I’ve seen the photo on Facebook .. they look awesome. I really love the combination.
I bet those cherries really complimented the chocolate wonderfully. I love the stories you tell of your husbands food fussiness, it reminds me so much of my fella 😀
Yum. With a glass of milk, great treat for the kids.
Ready this post really make me want to bake these cookies, I love the addition of the cherries…delicious!
Thanks for the recipe Liz…hope you are having a great week 😀
love the sweet cherry addition, especialyl against the chewy oats! YUM!
Without looking these sound similar to the Neiman Marcus cc cookie. Love those! Now let’s go see!
Liz – these look fabulous!
Wow Liz! These would not last long in my house! Scrumptious looking!
These sound like a delish combo! YUM!