Ground oatmeal is the secret ingredient that makes these Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies one of my favorite indulgences!
The cookie dough is a twist on the famous Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookies, but with two kinds of chocolate chips plus dried tart cherries.
Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Bill had an Aunt Alice who was a treasured family member. She treated our children like grandchildren, and always showed up bearing gifts. Often there would be a Tupperware container full of freshly baked cookies…and her chocolate chip version was chewy, chocolate-laden with her secret addition of ground oatmeal. I loved those gems. My Oatmeal Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies are a riff on Alice’s cookies.
After a number of years, I let it slip that Bill will only eat oatmeal for breakfast, another one of his food idiosyncrasies. Not in cookies, not even as a fruit crisp topping (devastating, I tell you!). Even ground up, he balked. Alice continued to bake us other treats, but I missed these cookies. So I baked up a batch for all of you today. Besides semi-sweet chocolate, I added white chocolate discs and dried tart cherries. My first bite was heavenly: gooey chocolate, chewy cherries and a bit of texture from the ground oats. And I didn’t have to share. I don’t make him share his breakfast oatmeal with me! A Win-Win for me!
This recipe was first shared in July 2014. Photos and text were updated in 2020.
- 2 ½ cups oatmeal
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or discs
- 1 cup white chocolate chips of discs
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- Put 2 1/2 cups of oats into a food processor and blend into a powder. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda.
- Mix in chocolate chips and dried cherries.
- Roll into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls and place 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g