This sweet, dense Glazed Poppy Seed Bread was flavored with both almond and vanilla. A tangy lemon glaze was the icing on the cake!
We have a friend dealing with some major health issues. I can pray, but I can also offer them something tangible. I dropped this glazed poppy seed bread in their mailbox when he and his wife were spending the day at the doctor’s office, hoping something sweet would bring comfort during this tough week.
My daughter loves poppy seed muffins, so I was pretty certain she would volunteer to help us polish off the second poppy seed loaf. Moist, tender with just a hint of flavorings, this is a fabulous addition to your breakfast or brunch menu, plus is a terrific gift for your hostess or a friend dealing with a difficult situation.
Winging This & That
This recipe was submitted to Katie’s former grade school’s cookbook by one of my dearest girlfriends. Unfortunately, the “butter” flavoring that was in the original version was nowhere to be found.
I could have melted butter instead of using oil, but I had already started the recipe when I realized my bottle of extract only had 2 drops in it. Okee, dokey. I just left it out. Then there was the shortage of orange juice to be used in the glaze. Guess I’d have to wing that as well.
Instead, I melted some butter and added some freshly squeezed lemon juice. I was quite pleased with these poppy seed loaves, moist with just a touch of citrus to play off the sweet. And Katie single handedly consumed the loaf I kept for us. Fingers crossed that my friends enjoyed their loaf, too.Print
Glazed Poppy Seed Bread
A lovely poppy seed bread with a tangy lemon glaze.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 2 loaves 1x
- Category: Bread, Breakfast, Brunch
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/8 cups oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease two standard loaf pans
- Mix oil and sugar together. Mix in eggs, then add vanilla, almond and milk. Mix in poppy seeds, then flour, baking powder and salt till just combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans.
- Make glaze by whisking together all ingredients till smooth.
- Bake for 1 hour or till toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Drizzle on the glaze.
Adapted from my friend, Pam.