A Classic Kir Royale with Cassis is an elegant champagne cocktail with a spot of currant liqueur. The vibrant color and berry garnish make it festive enough for any celebration!
Whether for Valentine’s Day, Christmas or a romantic night at home, this simple cocktail will become a favorite!
Classic Kir Royale with Cassis
I’ve always been drawn to simple cocktails, and this classic champagne cocktail fits the bill. With just Crème de Cassis, a sweet red French liqueur made of black currants, and champagne, you can be ready at the wait to make this cocktail when the mood strikes. Since I rarely see fresh currants in our local markets, I took the liberty of garnishing with raspberries. They’re a pretty good snack after you down your drink!
Tips for Making a Kir Royale
- PRO-Tip: My first and biggest tip is to hunt down some quality Crème de Cassis. I had a popular inexpensive version in my liquor cabinet, but with only two ingredients, the results were less than impressive. Still very drinkable, but not memorable. It has now been replaced.
- PRO-Tip: Taste and decide if some simple syrup is in order. If you’d like a sweeter cocktail, a splash of this easy to make sugar and water syrup is an easy fix.
- To make a simple syrup, just simmer equal parts water and sugar until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Chill and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks (as long as you don’t add any flavorings).
- Garnish with beautiful fresh currants if you can find them or fresh raspberries. A garnish always takes a cocktail to the next level! Toast your guests and enjoy!
- By the way, a Kir is a similar cocktail but made with white wine instead of champagne.
More Champagne Cocktails You’ll Love
The French 75 Champagne Cocktail is wonderful all year ’round and this Pomegranate Champagne Cocktail is perfect for New Year’s or Valentine’s Day! I’m dying to try this Cosmopolitan Champagne Cocktail and how about this Classic Champagne Cocktail?
- 2 teaspoons black currant liqueur (Crème de Cassis)
- 6 tablespoons Champagne or enough to fill the glass
- Simple syrup to taste, optional
- Fresh raspberries or fresh currants to garnish, optional
Add cassis to champagne or cocktail glasses
Top off the glass with champagne.
Taste and add simple syrup for a sweeter cocktail. Garnish if desired.
*To make simple syrup, heat equal amounts of sugar and syrup in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Chill and store in your refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
Serving Size:1 glass
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: .9mg Carbohydrates: 16.7g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 82g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: .3g