You’ve seen numerous lava cake recipes on my blog, but how about Chocolate Lava Cookies? Interested??? You should be as they were unbelievable!
Chocolate Lava Cookies
I’d only heard of this type of cookie recently. My friend, Jen, inspired me with her delicious version stuffed with fudge sauce. I decided to forgo the shortening and went with a butter based cookie. The aroma of brownies filled the house as I baked batch after batch. Some sprung leaks, others did not. But one thing was consistent, they were all incredibly tasty.
How to Stuff a Cookie
You may wonder how to get the stuffing into the middle of a cookie. You must start with a larger ball of dough than usual. I took my medium cookie scoop which holds about 2 tablespoons and scooped out balls of rich chocolate dough.
Next I flatted them onto my parchment lined cookie sheets using my palm. Not too thin or they’ll tear, but large enough to accommodate some filling. Scoop about a half teaspoon of fudge sauce (mine was thick, you don’t want a pourable sauce) onto the middle of each flattened disc.
Then carefully fold up the sides over the filling, sealing the fudge inside the cookie. Next I rolled each ball of dough between my palms to make each spherical. Rolling in granulated sugar was the last step before baking.
These were best when freshly baked as the “lava” gets absorbed into the cookie as time passes, but I didn’t hear any complaints from my taste testers!
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Raspberry Molten Lava Cakes from Texan Erin
- White Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
- Caramel Pumpkin Lava Cakes Recipe from Grandbaby Cakes
- Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cakes from The Cookie Rookie
Chocolate Lava Cookies
Delectable chocolate cookies stuffed with fudge sauce
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 24-30 cookies
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 8-ounce jar fudge sauce (I used Best Boy brand)
- Sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla, then cocoa powder. Add baking powder and flour and stir into dough till combined
- Scoop out dough balls about the size of a walnut or approximately 2 tablespoons and place dough balls on baking sheets, leaving 2+ inches space between. Flatten each with palm of your hand.
- Scoop about a half teaspoon of fudge sauce onto the center of the flattened dough. Fold dough up over fudge and seal well. Roll into a ball between your palms. Repeat with rest of dough and fudge. Roll in granulated sugar
- Bake for 12 minutes or till edges are set and tops are slightly puffed.