Brownies with Caramel Buttercream
These Brownies with Caramel Buttercream are a luscious combination of two classic dessert flavors, caramel, and chocolate.
This Caramel Brownies Recipe has a double dose of my favorite dessert ingredient: Caramel!! Bits of soft caramel in the brownies and caramel sauce in the buttercream make for some rich and memorable brownies!
Why You Must Make these Double Caramel Brownies
Chocolate and sugar are such an integral part of my blog. I had some leftover chewy Werther’s caramels wanted to put them to use. Fudgy brownies seemed like the perfect vehicle for them.
Then I thought of my children, the poor deprived kids. They’ve had to put up with unfrosted brownies for years. For ages, they preferred the frosted brownies from a box to my homemade version. Can you imagine????
It was time I gave them a special treat. And I had some homemade microwave caramel sauce in the fridge…wouldn’t that be terrific added to a vanilla buttercream?? OK, I was set. I started whipping up these Caramel Brownies with Caramel Buttercream.
Easy Caramel Brownies Recipe
Well, this caramel brownies recipe was a resounding success. Katie helped me lick the frosting bowl clean…and when Nick, my youngest, got home from work, he dived right in…and sang their praises, too. He and I are the caramel lovers in the family.
You have the option of adding Rolos, a chocolate and caramel candy, to the individual brownies if you want to get fancy or just pile on a thick layer of this exquisite caramel laced buttercream. Trust me, these Caramel Brownies with Caramel Buttercream are terrific either way!
More Decadent Caramel Desserts
- Southern Caramel Cake from Grandbaby Cakes
- Ganache Topped Caramel Bars
- Easy Caramel Brownies
- Caramel Cheesecake
- More of the Best Dessert Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup premium caramel bits (or caramel squares cut into tiny pieces)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup caramel sauce (homemade or store bought), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick foil or regular foil sprayed with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave gently until butter and chocolate are melted (30 seconds x 3, stirring in between sessions). Let cool to room temperature.
- Stir sugar into chocolate till combined. Whisk in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Fold in flour and salt.
- Mix in caramel bits and chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan
- Bake until a cake tester comes out of the center with just a few moist crumbs, 35-40 min. Cool completely on rack.
- To make the frosting, put butter into a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat till butter is pale and fluffy. Add in caramel and vanilla and mix till combined.
- Carefully mix in powdered sugar. If the buttercream is too dry, add a tablespoon or so of milk till you reach desired consistency (mine was fine without any milk).
- When brownies are cool, spread with a nice thick layer of icing (you may not need to use all the icing). Alternatively, remove brownies from the pan using foil. Cut into squares and pipe on a star of icing.
Note: Chill brownies before cutting for neater brownies.
Yield: 16 brownies
Total time: 2 1/2 hours including cooling time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 1gSugar: 75gProtein: 4g