These Caramel Brownies with Caramel Buttercream are a luscious combination of two classic dessert flavors, caramel, and chocolate.
Caramel Brownies with Caramel Buttercream
Chocolate and sugar are such an integral part of my blog. I had just purchased some premium caramel bits and wanted to add them to a recipe. Fudgy brownies seemed like the perfect vehicle for them.
Then I thought of my children, the poor deprived kids. They’ve had to put up with unfrosted brownies for years. For ages, they preferred the frosted brownies from a box to my homemade version. Can you imagine????
It was time I gave them a special treat. And I had some homemade microwave caramel sauce (recipe to come later this month) in the fridge…wouldn’t that be terrific added to a vanilla buttercream?? OK, I was set. I started whipping up these Caramel Brownies with Caramel Buttercream.
Easy Caramel Brownies Recipe
Well, this caramel brownies recipe was a resounding success. Katie helped me lick the frosting bowl clean…and when Nick, my youngest, got home from work, he dived right in…and sang their praises, too. He and I are the caramel lovers in the family.
You have the option of piping a star of frosting on individual brownies if you want to get fancy or just pile on a thick layer of this exquisite caramel laced buttercream. Trust me, these Caramel Brownies with Caramel Buttercream are terrific either way!
- 1 stick butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup premium caramel bits (or caramel squares cut into tiny pieces)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup caramel sauce (homemade or store bought), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 9 x 9 inch baking pan with non-stick foil or regular foil sprayed with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl and microwave gently until butter and chocolate are melted (30 seconds x 3, stirring in between sessions). Let cool to room temperature.
- Stir sugar into chocolate till combined. Whisk in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Fold in flour and salt.
- Mix in caramel bits and chocolate chips. Spread batter into prepared pan
- Bake until cake tester comes out of center with just a few moist crumbs, 35-40 min. Cool completely on rack.
- To make frosting, put butter into stand mixer with paddle attachment and beat till butter is pale and fluffy. Add in caramel and vanilla and mix till combined. Carefully mix in powdered sugar. If the buttercream is too dry, add a tablespoon or so of milk till you reach desired consistency (mine was fine without any milk).
- When brownies are cool, spread with a nice thick layer of icing (you may not need to use all the icing). Alternatively, remove brownies from pan using foil. Cut into squares and pipe on a star of icing.
Note: Chill brownies before cutting for neater brownies.
Yield: 16 brownies
Total time: 2 1/2 hours including cooling time.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 1gSugar: 75gProtein: 4g