Asian Cole Slaw Spring Rolls
How about a portable salad recipe? That’s what you get when you fill rice paper wraps with a slaw to make tasty Asian Cole Slaw Spring Rolls!
Asian Cole Slaw Spring Rolls
This is the sort of recipe that comes about after spending a few days with my creative siblings. I was contemplating an Asian coleslaw for this month’s Salad Bar “Potluck” Party…and that’s when my youngest sister, Maddy, suggested incorporating my salad into spring rolls.
And no ordinary spring rolls…these were to have edible flowers perfectly positioned for presentation’s sake. This idea was offered by the sister with the green thumb, huge garden and artistic flair. Yikes. Putting together these Asian Cole Slaw Spring Rolls would be more challenging than I anticipated.
Tips if You’re New to Making Spring Rolls
Thank goodness this newbie spring roll roller had a plethora of rice papers for practice. Did you know they dissolve if you soak them too long? I didn’t. Did you know you can remove the filling and start over with a new wrap? Now I do. This Asian coleslaw was amazing. I suggest you just make a double batch and shovel it in with a fork. If you’re overly ambitious, or a spring roll aficionado, go for the whole shebang. They are gorgeous…and tasty. Did I mention tasty? Yessiree…perfect for your Summer Pot Luck…which happens to be this month’s Salad Bar theme.
I hope you have a picnic, BBQ or potluck to attend…so you can bring one of these marvelous summer salads featured by my fellow Salad Bar bloggers. Scroll down to see what delicacies were brought to our party. If you’re interested in joining us next month, check out The Salad Bar Facebook page. Thanks to Wendy, The Weekend Gourmet, for hosting us again this month.
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger root
- 2 1/4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage)
- 1/2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Spring roll wrappers
- Small edible flowers, if desired
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Toss with the dressing.
- Dip spring a spring roll wrapper into warm water as directed on the packaging.
- Place wrap on a flat surface. Arrange a leaf of cilantro or red pepper slices or edible flowers in the center of the paper.
- Then place a couple of spoonfuls of slaw over those.
- Fold top and bottom of the wrapper towards the center. Then roll the spring roll up from side to side. Place on serving platter and repeat.
Adapted from Allrecipes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g