The Unveiling of Gallo Family Vineyards’ Riesling Varietal
Sometimes a simple recipe can be the most exquisite. These Riesling Poached Peaches are a prime example. I was thrilled to be selected by Gallo Family Vineyards to create a recipe using their spanking new, just released varietal, Riesling. I had an opportunity to taste Gallo’s new product at this year’s Food & Wine Conference in Orlando. I loved the crisp, semi-sweet, almost flowery taste. Of all the Gallo wines I’ve sampled, their Riesling is one of my personal favorites. Truly lovely. With peach season peaking in the Northern states, I knew I wanted to poach this delectable fruit in a vanilla, honey and Riesling bath to create an unforgettable dessert.
After simmering the peach halves, I reduced the poaching liquid to a nice syrup. When the flavored fruit was fully chilled, I whipped up some mascarpone cream with sugar, a bit of the reserved syrup and a splash of Grand Marnier. What an incredible pairing! By slicing the peaches from a spot below the stem, lengthwise, I was able to fan each half out on a dessert plate. A spoonful of the ambrosial cream plus a berry or two and a sprig of mint completed the presentation. It is no lie that I wanted to lick my plate clean; these poached peaches were THAT scrumptious.
Gallo Family Vineyards
Today, I’m featuring Gallo Family Vineyards’ Riesling and Sweet Red Blend. The Riesling is light bodied with hints of honeysuckle, peach, pear and citrus. Ideal for summer sipping and to pair with many of the recipes shared today. The Sweet Red Blend is medium bodied and sweet with nuances of cherries and raspberry jam. It pairs well with summer fare like smoked meats, barbecue sauces and desserts. Both would be lovely additions to your Labor Day table!
A handy store locator is here.
Make sure to take advantage of this GFV $1 off digital coupon!
You’ll find more terrific Labor Day Recipes on the GFV website.
More information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines is available here. There you will find descriptions of all their wines and food pairings…an excellent resource for all your wine needs.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 fresh peaches, ripe but not soft, peeled, halved with pit removed
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Gallo Family Vineyards' Riesling (or white wine of your choice)
- 6 tablespoons honey
- ½ vanilla bean, split in half
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
- Raspberries and mint, optional to garnish
- Place peach halves in a large bowl and squeeze lemon juice over the surface to prevent browning.
- Combine water, wine, honey in medium saucepan. Scrape seeds from both halves of vanilla beans and pods and seeds to poaching liquid. Heat liquid and stir till honey dissolves. Lower heat to a simmer and add peaches.
- Cover peaches with a round of parchment and simmer for about 15 minutes. Return peaches to the large bowl, then reduce liquid to about a cup. Allow the syrup to cool, reserve ¼ cup, then pour the rest over the peaches. Place peaches in the refrigerator to chill completely.
- To serve, whip the mascarpone cream, sugar, Grand Marnier and reserved poaching liquid till thickened. Slice peaches almost all the way through, from just below the stem to the other end. Fan each half out on a plate, add a dollop of cream and a berry or two and mint sprig if desired.
Feel free to poach pears, nectarines or apples. Cooking time will vary depending on the variety of fruit used.
For a lighter dessert, serve with some low-fat frozen yogurt instead of the mascarpone.
Sunday Supper Recipes with GFV Riesling or Sweet Red Blend:
Labor Day Beverages:
- German Strawberry Wine Punch (Erdbeerbowle) by Magnolia Days
- Ginger Plum Sangria by Jelly Toast
- Lemon Lime Wine Sparkle by Basic N Delicious
- Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Labor Day Savory Bites:
- Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling by Webicurean
- Buffalo Ranch Pasta Salad by Foxes Love Lemons
- Clams in White Wine Sauce with Goat Cheese Crostini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Deconstructed Egg Rolls by Ruffles & Truffles
- Peach Mango Grilled Chicken over Quinoa by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta by Family Foodie
- Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Labor Day Desserts:
- Brown Butter Grilled Peach Cupcakes with Riesling Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mango Riesling Coulis by Run DMT
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake by Desserts Required
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Peach Granita Sundaes by Melanie Makes
- Peach Riesling Buckle by girlichef
- Riesling Infused Peach and Blueberry Cobbler by In The Kitchen With KP
- Riesling Poached Peaches with Mascarpone Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Wine Ice Cream by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.