I truly swooned with my first bite of this Italian Cream Cake. Other versions were nice, but this recipe was out of this world!
Italian Cream Cake
I had my first taste of Italian Cream Cake a few years back. Tasty, but not memorable. One bite of this latest version and I knew I needed the recipe ASAP. Was it the absence of nuts, the extremely moist cake or the fluffy cream cheese frosting that sold me? I’d surmise that it was a combination of all three. This recipe comes from my friend, Sabra, who served it for our dinner club dessert. Full from our gourmet meal, I tried to resist eating the whole slice, when in reality, I had to hold myself back from licking the plate. It was just that exquisite.
A Dreamy Dessert
I find that buttermilk is one of the secrets to an outrageously moist and tender cake. Between that and alternately adding wet and dry ingredients, practically guarantees a spectacular dessert. I took this to my book club dinner last week and my girlfriends responded with the same swoons that I had with my initial taste. I upped the ante and made a batch and a half of the frosting (recipe reflects a single batch), so this made an extremely rich cake even more decadent. With a rich batter full of coconut and two layers of cream cheese buttercream, this is one show-stopper of a cake. A sprinkling of coconut over the top was a hint to what was beneath the frosting. Bill steered clear of the leftovers I brought home. Coconut is just not his thing! But if it is your thing, I guarantee you will adore this Italian Cream Cake.
A Special Cake for a Special Friend!
Today is the birthday of a dear blogger friend, Isabel. Creator of the blog Family Foodie, she is also the brainchild of the wildly successful Sunday Supper Movement. This busy lady needs some pampering on her big day. Along with a few of my favorite bloggers, we are throwing her a surprise birthday bash. She typically shares savory, dinner worthy recipes, often with a Portuguese flair, but I delved deep into the Family Foodie archives and found a delectable Carrot Pineapple Cake. And her mom, Vo-Vo, has a very famous Cheesecake recipe. Be still my heart. You’ll love both her desserts plus all the celebratory dishes my friends have prepared for the party.
The Birthday Party Line Up:
Join me in celebrating Isabel’s Birthday with all the delicious food and drinks her #SundaySupper family prepared!
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma’s Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
Birthday Main Courses:
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Serves: 10-16 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- ½ cup shortening
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour, sifted (measure, then sift)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut (I used angel flake)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ pounds powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces (1 brick) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1½ vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped, optional (I did not use)
- Milk, to thin frosting
- Coconut, to garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 3 8-inch baking pans or spray with flour and oil baking spray like Baker's Joy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together sugar, butter and shortening. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Dissolve baking soda in the buttermilk and add alternately with flour to batter. Add coconut and mix to combine.
- Beat egg whites till stiff. Fold into batter, then add vanilla.
- Divide batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or till toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove cakes from pans to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Make frosting. Mix butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and nuts, if using. Drizzle in a little milk till frosting is a good spreading consistency. Frost between layers. Sprinkle top with more coconut, if desired.
More Coconut Favorites: