Grilled Flank Steak Fajitas make a flavorful and healthy beef entree. After marinating in lime juice and spices and tossed on the grill, delicious slices of flank steak are wrapped in warm flour tortillas for a quick, tasty meal. This post is sponsored by the Beef Checkoff. See details below.
Using Beef for a Healthy Entree
I live with a carnivore. The hubby loves meat and especially beef. Luckily there are so many lean cuts of beef that can be transformed into a healthy main dish. So Bill gets his meat and I get a well-rounded meal. To amp up the flavor when using a leaner cut, I often mix up a quick marinade, add the beef and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Unlike other proteins, beef can hold up to a longer marinating time which ensures more flavor penetration. With flank steak, I also score the exterior with a sharp knife, to assist with osmosis. Then when it comes time for dinner, all the hubby has to do is toss the meat on the grill and cook to perfection.
Flank Steak Fajitas
As long as it’s grilling weather, fajitas frequently appear on our menu. And grilling season only dies when there’s a foot of snow on our Green Egg and/or subzero temperatures! Yes, the man in charge of the grill is not always rational! Having a marinated flank steak parked in the fridge makes dinner time a breeze. While Bill fires up the grill, I saute some onions and peppers, cut up a few tomatoes and an avocado, and pull out some guacamole, salsa and sour cream. Choose whatever toppings tickle your fancy. I use a whole grain tortilla and pile on the veggies plus a few slices of beef. The hubby goes heavier on the beef, as a true carnivore would.
Don’t forget beef when you’re planning a healthy meal. There are tons of options as you’ll see with the #WeekdaySupper posts this month. Just round out the meal with loads of veggies and some whole grains. Even my picky husband is satisfied with this formula.
Learn More About Using Beef in a Healthy Diet:
Make sure to follow The Beef Checkoff’s social media sites for more recipes and inspiration:
Find out more about Beef as a part of a healthy plate here:
Additional Quick and Healthy Entrees for your #WeekdaySupper:
- 1½ pounds flank steak
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- One yellow onion, cut in half and sliced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lime
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Halved cherry tomatoes or tomato salsa
- Sour cream
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- Stir the lime juice, oil, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper together.
- Put the steak in a large zip-lock bag and pour the marinade over the meat.
- Park in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- To serve, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan and add onion and pepper slices. Sprinkle with cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Saute till onions and peppers are tender and slightly browned. Squeeze the juice of half a lime and cook a minute or so longer.
- Remove flank steak from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for a half hour to take the chill off the meat.
- Grill to desired doneness, then let rest 10 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.
- Place flank steak strips, onions and peppers along with desired toppings in the middle of a tortilla. Roll and serve.
If you’re looking for more quick and easy Weekday Supper recipes, check out our current Weekday Supper Menu, or drop by our Weekday Supper Pinterest board for more ideas!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.