Classic Yellow Butter Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Icing
This combination of classic yellow butter cake and fudgy chocolate icing is a frequent birthday request around here. Last time, I tried to dissuade the hubby when he yet again suggested this combo (I am a food blogger for Pete’s sake, who cannot be making the same recipe again and again!).
I was then told I would get a chainsaw for my next birthday if he didn’t get his cake! After a bit of back and forth and a case of hiccups from hysterical laughter on my part, I gave in.
Then fast forward to 2017 and Katie requested this cake for her birthday. I have to admit, this yellow butter cake, with its glossy chocolate icing, is worth making at least once a year, and maybe even twice!
Katie thought the frosting was a bit too chocolaty with the pound of chocolate plus Dutch process cocoa powder, but I let her know I’d make the sacrifice and eat her share. It’s really fabulous. The yellow cake is moist and tender, so the pairing works together deliciously!
Perfect Dessert for Any Celebration
But besides Katie’s birthday, there is something more to celebrate. My blogger friend, Angie, gave birth to a precious baby on Wednesday. Her adorable son was welcomed to the world by her parents with much joy.
Angie was one of the bloggers I met at my first ever blog conference and she’s as sweet as can be. I’m joining in on a surprise virtual baby shower to sprinkle the Angie, her husband, Thomas, and baby Jackson with love. This tender yellow butter cake with the fudgy, uber chocolaty icing is definitely worthy of this very special baby shower!
Appetizers & Salads:
Creamy Grape Salad with Toasted Pecans from Unsophisticook.
Mini Chicken and Waffles from Sweet Beginnings.
Pimento Cheese Stuffed Buttermilk Biscuits from It’s Yummi.
Savory Cucumber Melon Salad with Honey Thyme Vinaigrette from Cooking in Stilettos.
Spicy Southern Deviled Eggs from This Gal Cooks.
American Pierogi Casserole from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen.
Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Butter Sauce from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Pimento Cheese Tomato Ham Sliders from Honey and Birch.
Banana Pudding Layered Dessert from High Heels and Grills.
Brookies from Baked Bree.
Caramel Corn from The Redhead Baker.
Caramel Pecan Cheesecake from Cooking with Carlee.
Chocolate Chip Clouds from All Day I Dream About Food.
Lemon Donuts with Raspberry Glaze from Ashlee Marie
Low Carb Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Cupcakes from Sugar-Free Mom.
Mickey Mouse Candy Pops from The Decorated Cookie.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownie Bars from The Bitter Side of Sweet.
Small Batch Rhubarb Strawberry Jam from The JavaCupcake Blog
Classic Yellow Butter Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Icing from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
Yellow Cupcakes with Peach Cream Cheese Frosting from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt.
Worms and Dirt Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips.
More Celebratory Cakes:
- Rainbow Birthday Cake from The Little Kitchen
- The Perfect White Birthday Cake Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beautiful Floral Cakes from Living Locurto
- Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Curd Filling from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Chocolate Birthday Cake from Big Bear’s Wife
Used to Make This Recipe:
- Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook
- KitchenAid 5-Qt. Artisan with Glass Bowl
- Wilton Large Offset Spatula, 13-Inch (for spreading frosting)
- Small Offset Spatula (for smoothing batter in pan)
Yellow Butter Cake with Chocolate Icing
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Cuisine: Dessert, Cake
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature plus more for greasing pans
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting pans
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 pound semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Butter two 9 inch cake pans, line bottoms with parchment. Butter parchment, then dust with flour; set aside. In a bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fit with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then mix in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until combined after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and smooth tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool on racks about 10 minutes, then remove from pans, peel off parchment and allow to cool completely. Make icing.
- Gently melt chocolate in microwave, stopping and stirring at 30 second increments till melted and smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Stir together cocoa and boiling water till cocoa is dissolved.
- Put butter and powdered sugar in bowl of mixer fit with a paddle attachment. Beat till fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and mix. Add cooled chocolate and mix till well combined. Add cocoa mixture and beat into frosting.
- Frost cake as desired.
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 816kcal
- Sugar: 56g
- Sodium: 230mg
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated Fat: 32g
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 87g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 157mg