Layered Pesto Dip
This Layered Pesto Dip with Sun-Dried Tomatoes is a gem from Nigella Lawson with lots of Italian flair! Perfect for your next gathering.
Called a “terrine” in Nigella’s recipe, layers of pesto, cream cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and Provolone cheese are layered in a loaf pan. So many wonderful flavors in every nibble of this Best Pesto Dip Recipe!
Layered Pesto Dip with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
I’ve made a similar recipe layering cream cheese and pesto, but the addition of Provolone and sun-dried tomatoes pushed this one over the top. Unlike Nigella, I used premade pesto (a little glitch like a power outage after a lightning strike in our backyard pushed me behind schedule) and layered my own way.
How to Make a Layered Dip Recipe
- Use either a springform pan or a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap or foil. Both of these are easy to unmold.
- Try to make your layers level and even for the best presentation.
- Keep in the pan and chilled until close to serving time to give the dip the time to set.
- Provide a proper utensil for serving. This pesto dip has layers of Provolone cheese that need a sharper knife for slicing.
Photo from April 2011. Photos and tet updated in 2020.
More Recipes with Pesto
- Homemade Italian Basil Pesto from Creative Culinary
- Italian Pesto Burger
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Plus More of the Best Appetizers Recipes
Sun-dried Tomato, Pesto and Cream Cheese Terrines
A layered pesto, sun-dried tomato dip
- 2 6-ounce packages refrigerated pesto
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 12 ounces sliced Provolone cheese
- 8.5 ounce jar julienne sun-dried tomatoes with herbs, chopped
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Line two 5.5 inch diameter springform pans (or large loaf pan) with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Mix softened cream cheese with minced garlic and nuts. Set aside.
- Place 2-3 slices of Provolone cheese on the bottom of each pan. Divide one package of pesto between the two pans. Spread evenly to cover Provolone.
- Top each with 1/4 of the chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Layer each with half the cream cheese mixture and spread to the edges. Top each with remaining pesto, then sun-dried tomatoes, then 3 slices of Provolone. Refrigerate before serving.
- To unmold, remove plastic from top and flip over onto serving tray. Remove the rest of the plastic wrap. Allow the terrines to sit at room temperature before serving. Serve with crackers or baguette slices. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs if desired.
Adapted from Nigella.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g
25 Comments on “Layered Pesto Dip”
so, has anyone TRIED it? how do you get it off of the platter? do you cut into as with pie? love the team support you have but we need authentic feedback please.
Just use a cheese knife to slice through it! It’s wonderful!!
This looks so yummy! I love sun dried tomatoes 🙂
These look so good, Lizzy.
Everything in this sounds so delicious together… I’m sure it will get rave reviews!