Spinach Salad with Grilled Peaches and Blue Cheese: A delicious, seasonal salad with juicy, fresh peaches that are caramelized on the BBQ.
Spinach Salad with Grilled Peaches and Blue Cheese
Peach season comes and goes too darn quickly. I need to get my fill of pies, crisps and cobblers while this juicy, fragrant fruit is available at my favorite produce stand. I haven’t spotted any local peaches, yet, but the Georgia peaches have been succulent and flavorful. When we had a group of friends over for dinner, I decided to go rogue and make a Spinach Salad with Grilled Peaches and Blue Cheese.
I’m sure those of you seasoned cooks out there know how wonderful grilled fruit tastes. The grilling process actually caramelizes the sugars and along with the evaporation of liquid that occurs with cooking, the fruit actually tastes sweeter, even a bit more concentrated in flavor.
Try grilling any stone fruit or slices of pineapple and serving them with a scoop of vanilla for dessert. Mind you, this is much easier if you own a gas grill and can control the heat more accurately.
We, at Chez Skinny Chick, have to deal with a stubborn man who will not give up his charcoal grill nor supplement it with a gas version for his sweet wife to use. So proceed with caution and let your coals die down or set up half your grill with indirect heat if you’re in the same boat.
- 4 firm peaches, peeled, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2-1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Grill peaches, flat side down over low heat till warmed (may use outdoor grill or grill pan). Set aside to cool before slicing each half into 4 pieces.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the garlic, vinegar, mustard, honey and salt. Slowly whisk in the remaining olive oil.
- For a composed salad, place spinach into bowl and arrange peaches, nuts and blue cheese over greens. Drizzle with a bit of the dressing.
- To serve, drizzle with more dressing and toss.