A fudgy base, thick vanilla buttercream, and cookie topping make for sheer bliss with each bite of these Oreo Cookie Brownies!
Oreo Cookie Brownies
This month’s Secret Recipe Club hooked me up with The Kitchen Witch Blog. After reading through just a paragraph of her latest post, I found Rhonda to be a fun gal with a delightful personality…you’ll definitely want to check out her blog. And, opposite of me, she has a plethora of healthy recipes…perfect to offset anything calorie-laden that you might make from here!
I perused her dessert recipes and zeroed in on something chocolate…actually one of her SRC posts, Oreo Cookie Brownies. She offered up a super quick recipe, but since I had a little extra time I made homemade brownies and homemade frosting instead of the box and canned versions. Feel free to use a box mix for a quicker version.
Before making these, Bill had to mention that he didn’t like Oreo crumbs. Doesn’t he always throw a curveball into my plans? So I just left that layer out. He removed and ate the Mini Oreos first then dug into the brownies with the thick layer of buttercream…and, yes, he was an instant fan. I didn’t mention that most of them were going to Tom, with whom I had texted in desperation when my computer ran out of memory earlier in the week. He promised his IT expertise in exchange for some cookies…and did I have a treat for him!
- 1/2 cup butter, plus more for pan
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/4 t salt
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 8-ounce bag Mini Oreos, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 8" square baking pan with nonstick foil or foil sprayed with Pam. Set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl and microwave gently until butter and chocolate are melted (about 30 seconds x 3, stirring in between sessions). Let cool to room temperature.
- Stir sugar into chocolate till combined. Whisk in eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Fold in flour and salt. Pour into prepared pan and smooth top with offset spatula. Bake until cake tester comes out of center with just a few moist crumbs, 40-45 min. Cool completely on rack.
- Make frosting:
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting over cooled brownies with offset spatula. Garnish with as many mini Oreos as you'd like. To serve, use foil to pull brownies out of pan and cut into bars.
- For easier cutting, chill brownies and use a knife run under hot water and dried to slice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 47gProtein: 3g