Doctoring up a box of Jello turned ordinary gelatin into this retro One Two Three Jello! Jello desserts are definitely throwback dishes, but with them come delicious memories of childhood.
What’s your favorite throwback recipe???
One Two Three Jello
One of my favorite childhood treats was Jello brand’s One Two Three Jello. My childhood was full of jello salads. Some I loved. Others, like lime jello with grated carrots, were just plain nasty.
Back in the day, Jello was touted as a source of protein and my youngest sister was given bottles of jello water to pacify her. She was the only sibling to have a mouthful of cavities. I wonder why?
Back to recreating this retro One Two Three Jello recipe. My siblings and I loved how the mixture magically separated into layers when chilled. Sadly, it was discontinued, but I did find copycat recipes on the web. Unfortunately, they all contained Cool Whip, which doesn’t set well with me. Substituting whipped cream worked perfectly!
My parents went all granola on me in the 1970’s. Powdered milk to avoid hormones or pesticides, no salt to help my dad’s blood pressure, carob instead of chocolate. We were tortured. So when my mom brought home a box of 1-2-3 Jello/ One Two Three Jello from the neighborhood Hy-Vee grocery store, my sisters and I were ever so grateful for the SUGAR!
So when I heard the Sunday Supper crew was sharing Retro Recipes today, I thought of the era of jello molds, quiche that real men didn’t eat and Hamburger Helper, and chose that magic gelatin dessert. Did you grow up eating jello salads? Are they ever on your holiday table? You know, those jello salads that taste like desserts? If you have a favorite, let me know.
More Recipes with Jello You’ll Love:
- Rainbow Ribbon Jello from Brown Eyed Baker
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
- Coca Cola Jello Salad with Cherries from The Food Charlatan
- Easy Lemon Bundt Cake
- Jello Easter Eggs from Spend with Pennies
One Two Three Jello
A retro Jello dessert that was a childhood favorite!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- 6 ounce box of Jello (flavor of your choice, I used cherry)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Divide dry jello into two medium sized bowls.
- Add one cup boiling water to first bowl and stir till all sugar is dissolved. Add one cup of cold water and mix till combined. Pour mixture into clear glasses (6-8 depending on size) filling to halfway point. Chill till slightly jelled, about 30 minutes.
- When the bottom layer is slightly jelled, whip the cream and repeat the process with the second bowl of dry gelatin, decreasing the cold water to ¾ cup. Whisk in the whipped cream and pour the jello mixture on top of the first layer. Chill till set, about 4 hours.
Note: 4 hour chilling time.
- Calories: 125kcal
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 7mg