When challenged to create a dessert with caramel and pretzels, these sweet and salty Mini Rolo Cheesecakes with Pretzel Crusts were the delicious result!
Mini Rolo Cheesecakes
My loyal readers surely know of my husband’s second love: chocolate. I have a bit of a sweet tooth myself but would pass over any chocolate dish for one with gooey caramel or toffee.
So I did a little happy dance when I saw that April’s Dessert Challenge ingredients were Pretzels and Caramel. I whipped up these Mini Rolo Cheesecakes with pretzel crusts.
Individual Caramel Filled Cheesecakes
It wasn’t visions of sugar plums, but visions of Rolos, those bite sized caramel filled chocolates, that began dancing in my head. And from there I created this idea for a dessert, purely experimental.
I wasn’t sure how the Rolos would melt, how the sweet/salty crust would taste with the creamy filling. Or if anyone else besides me would find these mini cheesecakes appealing.
Sweet and Salty Treats
Oh, boy, did I hit the jackpot with this one. Two bites of pure bliss. I haven’t always been on the sweet salty bandwagon. All those desserts involving bacon? Nope, they didn’t entice me one bit.
But I do have a soft spot for chocolate covered pretzels so I had an inkling I might be onto something. I took a sampling of these mini Rolo cheesecakes to my Friday morning guinea pig group where they were a huge hit!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars from Saving Room for Dessert
- Mini Mascarpone Cheesecakes
- Mini Chocolate Cheesecakes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies
- More Dessert Recipes
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 24 Rolo Minis candies (caramel filled chocolates)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Line a 24 slot mini-muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside. Preheat oven to 325º.
- Mix together pretzels, melted butter and brown sugar. Place about 1 teaspoon in base of each muffin wrapper, tamp down.
- With a mixer, whip cream cheese with sugar till light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and egg, just till incorporated. Place one mini-Rolo in each muffing cup, then divide batter between the 24 slots.
- Bake 13-15 minutes or till filling appears set. Remove to rack to cool.
- When cheesecakes are cooled to room temperature, make ganache. In microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate and cream starting with 30 seconds, stopping and stirring. Repeat using 15 second increments, till mixture is smooth. Cool slightly, then scrape into ziploc bag, snip corner, and pipe into center of each mini cheesecake.
- Store in refrigerator, but bring to room temperature to serve.
Serving Size:2 mini cheesecakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 44mg Sodium: 131mg Carbohydrates: 20g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g