I first ate these out of the ordinary Fig Gruyere Crostini when a friend served them at our book club. Gooey Swiss cheese, salty blue cheese along with fig spread, honey, and rosemary created an amazing, unforgettable appetizer!
Fig Gruyere Crostini
We planned to have cocktails and appetizers with some friends before setting out to a nearby sausage festival for dinner. The weather was not cooperating. It seems that monsoon season had hit Indiana in August! We gathered for drinks, wondering whether we’d actually get dinner that night. But knowing my friends, I figured there would be a lovely spread. I decided to make these Fig Gruyere Crostini to share.
I emailed the friend to request the recipe and it just happened to come from an extremely talented food blogger, Heidi of Foodie Crush. I was going to use some apricot jam to shake things up, but after reading through the recipe, I decided it was pretty much perfect as written. I did toast my baguette slices first, but that was my only adaptation.
A Magic Combination
The list of ingredients may seem a bit odd at first. A sharp cheese, a pungent, salty cheese, sweet honey and fig spread and an assertive herb all married deliciously!! Since fig season has arrived I located some gorgeous black fig to garnish my serving dish, then we head out for the night.
The picky hubby awarded these Fig Gruyere Crostini his seal of approval and they were devoured by our friends. There even came a request for the recipe the following morning. Yup, you’ll want to add these to the menu for your next gathering! And it’s a bonus if you can find some fresh figs for your crostini platter!
You May Need:
Fig Gruyere Crostini
A fabulous, out of the ordinary appetizer. Adapted from Foodie Crush.
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Cuisine: Appetizer
- 1/2 baguette, sliced on the diagonal 1/4-inch thick (I had about 21 slices)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Fig spread
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- Figs and fresh rosemary to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a sheet pan with parchment. Brush baguette slices with olive oil. Bake 6 minutes, then flip, brush the other side with olive oil, and bake about 6 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Divide the shredded Gruyere over the top of the baguette slices. Then top with the blue cheese. Place about a teaspoon of the fig spread over each toast.
- Bake about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with rosemary.
- Calories: 155kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 25mg