With plump blueberries and raspberries appearing in the market, it was time to resurrect this Dorie Greenspan Berry Mascarpone Roulade recipe!
This French Cake Roll is a sponge cake rolled around a sweet, delectable mascarpone cream dotted with fresh, plump berries.
Berry Mascarpone Roulade
When I moved my blog from Blogger to WordPress a few years ago, there were a few casualties. A couple of my posts disappeared and by the time I realized the problem, I only had the photos and vague memories of the process.
Blame it on old age! So after a lackluster brownie recipe attempt this week, I decided to scour the market for some sweet, ripe berries and remake this Dorie Greenspan jelly roll recipe.
Sponge Cake Roll with Berries and Mascarpone Filling
This cake is a simple sponge, like what’s used to make ladyfingers. Whipped, sweetened egg whites are folded into the yolks along with sifted flour and cornstarch. Baked in a sheet pan, the cake is then rolled in a powdered sugar sprinkled towel to set the shape while still warm from the oven. When I made this berry roulade for our French Fridays with Dorie group, I filled the cake with the mascarpone cream and sprinkled the filling with raspberries on one side and blueberries on the other before rolling up this jelly roll cake.
There is one, to be nameless member of my household that won’t eat blueberries, so accommodations must be made. Dorie’s recipe for this sponge cake roll called to poach the berries, but fresh berries worked swimmingly. And the one who doesn’t like blueberries thought his raspberry slice was just peachy! I think you will, too!
If you love cake rolls, try this scrumptious Vanilla Chiffon Roll. It’s filled with a luscious walnut mousse that even the picky hubby raved about! And make sure to check out all my amazing Cake Recipes.
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 6 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1-pint blueberries or raspberries, or half of each
- To make the roulade, preheat the oven to 400. Line a 12×17-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Put the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip the whites until they are just starting to hold their shape. Slowly pour in the sugar and beat on high speed for another couple of minutes till the meringue is very firm.
- Put the yolks in a separate bowl with ½ teaspoon of vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk about ¼ of the meringue into the yolks. Scrape the yolks onto the meringue and then put the dry ingredients on top of them. Gently fold all of the ingredients together, but do not overmix. Pour the batter onto the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the sponge is puffed and golden. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Dust a kitchen towel with powdered sugar and invert the cake onto the sugared cloth. Carefully peel away the parchment paper.
- Place the cake so that there is a long side closest to you, and roll the cake up in the towel. Allow to cool.
- Put the mascarpone in a bowl and sift the powdered sugar over it. Gently whisk the two together and then stir in the vanilla.
- Whip the cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until it holds firm peaks. Stir a quarter of the cream into the mascarpone to lighten it, then gently fold in the rest.
- To assemble the cake, unroll it. Spread the filling evenly over the cake, leaving an inch perimeter without any topping. Evenly disperse the berries over the filling. Use the towel to help you lift and roll the cake, starting with the long side farthest from you and finishing so that the seam is on the bottom. Trim off both ends with a serrated knife. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before slicing.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 162mg Sodium: 171mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 21g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g