When we were newlyweds, my in-laws would visit us armed with dinner. I remember loving my mother-in-law’s Cavatini Supreme recipe, a pasta casserole with ground beef, pepperoni, red sauce and loads of gooey mozzarella. I received a Lagostina casserole in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.
Cavatini Supreme Recipe
I had no clue, until recently, that Cavatini Supreme was a dish you could order at Pizza Hut. Apparently, a copy-cat recipe went through the bridge club sect and my mother-in-law and Bill’s aunt had slightly different recipes. After checking out the recipe, I was thrilled to discover how easily it went from kitchen to table. I’ve tweaked it by using homemade marinara vs. the jarred spaghetti sauce in the original recipe, but store bought sauce makes it super easy. Adding some Italian sausage for a little spice is also a way to amp up the flavor, but all ground beef is delightfully delicious, too.
Favorite Regional Family Recipes
Growing up in the Midwest, good, old fashioned comfort food was the norm. I can’t recall being served an entree salad for dinner or a meal without a healthy dose of carbs. Plus, any dish with an Italian flare was gobbled up with nary a complaint. I’m not sure if the cavatini craze spread from coast to coast, but in my neck of the woods, it was the perfect meal to cook up for a weeknight dinner, to take to a family with a new baby or a to a funeral dinner. Easy, scrumptious and always a hit.
Non-Stick Lagostina Casserole
I cooked up this super cheesy, family friendly cavatini supreme in a brand new Lagostina Nera Nonstick 5-quart Casserole, replete with Italian craftsmanship. With its hard-anodized construction and 3.5 mm base, it provides even heat distribution while still being attractive enough to perch on the cook top. I’m a fan of the beautiful hammered stainless steel lid and the ergonomically riveted, stay-cool handles.
More features include an easy to clean nonstick finish and flared edges for dripless pouring. This casserole is dishwasher safe, oven safe up to 500°, and comes with a lifetime warranty. And it’s perfect for cooking up big family meals like this cavatini. Available only at Macy’s, today you have a chance to win a Lagostina casserole of your own! Scroll down to the bottom to see how to enter. Open to those with a US mailing address only and those 18 years old and above.
- ¾ pound ground beef
- ¾ pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jar mushrooms or sauteed fresh mushroom slices
- 32 ounces marinara sauce, homemade or good quality store-bought
- ½ package pepperoni slices
- ½ pound pasta of your choice, cooked and drained (spirals are traditional, but I used medium shells or conchiglie)
- Garlic salt, Italian seasoning, to taste, optional
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- In a large oven safe skillet, saute ground beef and sausage with onions and pepper. When meat is browned, remove from heat and drain. Add mushrooms, marinara, and pasta and mix well. Taste and add seasonings if needed. Mix in pepperoni, Top with Parmesan, then Mozzarella.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Bake about 30 minutes or until the dish is hot and cheese is golden.
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet from The Cookie Rookie
- Chicken Piccata Pasta
- Pepperoni-Sausage Skillet Pasta from Noble Pig
- Penne alla Vodka
- Taco Skillet Pasta from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts