Tender and flaky, these Buttermilk Goat Cheese Biscuits will tickle your fancy after just one nibble!
I’m delighted to be back baking with the #TwelveLoaves crew. For the month of April, our theme led me to experiment with a few cheesy breads. I whipped up some magnificent cheddar popovers, but I needed a chisel to release them from my pan. Then there was the cheesy corn bread with peppers and corn kernels. It was rather bland, though I still managed to eat a nice big wedge. So I turned to an old favorite. A few years ago, Bill and I dined at Art Smith’s Chicago restaurant, Table 52, and were treated to some piping hot buttermilk goat cheese biscuits. It was time to recreate this winning recipe. The original utilized self-rising flour, and I did some calculating and substituted all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
Finally A Winner!
The butter, buttermilk, and goat cheese worked their magic and produced a biscuit with a very subtle tang and all the characteristics of a perfect biscuit. See the layers? See how moist the interior is? A sprinkle of Parmesan over these hot gems finished them off with a flourish. Bill ate two with his dinner and two for breakfast the next morning. I’d say that’s a positive endorsement.
More Terrific Cheese Breads
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess and runs smoothly with the help of Heather of girlichef, and the rest of our fabulous bakers.
Our host this month is Robin from A Shaggy Dough Story, and our theme is CHEESE. For more bread recipes, visit the #TwelveLoaves Pinterest board, or check out last month’s mouthwatering selection of #TwelveLoaves enter last month’s Italian Breads!
- Buttermilk Goat Cheese Biscuits from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Casatiello from Cake Duchess
- Cheddar Chive Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cheddar Dill Twists from blackberry eating in late September
- Cheese Babka from Hostess At Heart
- Cheese Soda bread from Ma che ti sei mangiato
- Cream Cheese and Cherry Buns from girlichef
- Feta & Olive Swirls from The Bread She Bakes
- Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread) from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pimento Cheese Straws from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
If you’d like to bake along with us this month, share your CHEESE bread using hashtag #TwelveLoaves!
- 2 cups flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) good quality goat cheese, cut into small piece
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided, to grease the pan and top the biscuits
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º. Place 10 inch cast iron skillet into the oven to heat.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Add butter and goat cheese and with fingers, pinch and break apart pieces till mixture has the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Add buttermilk and gently mix to form the dough. You may add an extra tablespoon of buttermilk if needed.
- Remove hot skillet from oven. Add 1 tablespoon butter and swirl to coat bottom of the pan. Remove dough from bowl onto a floured surface. Knead a few times till dough comes together, then pat into a rectangle about 1-1/2 inch in height. Using a 2½-inch biscuit cutter, press straight down to cut out rounds. Place into skillet. Brush with additional melted butter.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, till lightly browned. Sprinkle hot muffins with Parmesan and serve warm.