These Maple Wrapped Scallops may be a bit elegant for the “Big Game” fare, but they are exactly the sort of tasty morsels I love to serve to my friends. The guys hover around the TV rooting for their favorite team and I’m typically in the kitchen with my girlfriends sipping on a crisp glass of Sauvignon Blanc trying to show a modicum of restraint around these irresistible appetizers. I made this scallops recipe for my book club years ago…and received the ultimate compliment. While biting into one of these bacon wrapped gems, one friend commented that these rivaled the seafood you’d find at the finest restaurant. And the bonus is that they are extremely simple to make!
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is Game Day Entertaining & Pairings. When having a party, we always have beer for the hubby, plus white and red wine. With munchies and appetizers, I find Sauvignon Blanc to be a perfect pairing. Gallo Family Vineyards has a lovely version at a great price point. Floral and fruity, it was perfect with these succulent scallops. The marinade is incredible…with the maple highlighting the sweetness of the seafood, the soy complementing their brininess, and the Dijon adding a hint of complexity without screaming mustard. Easy and wonderful. Cheers!
Check out all all the wonderful recipes for your next big bash from my Sunday Supper friends…along with the perfect wine recommendations for each:
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 12 large sea scallops
- 12 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Whisk together maple syrup, soy sauce, and mustard. Add scallops and marinate one hour.
- Partially cook the bacon, it should still be pliable. Let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line baking sheet with foil for easier clean up if desired.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each scallop using a toothpick to secure. Place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake till scallops are opaque and bacon is crisp, 10-15 minutes, turning at the half way point.
- Serve warm.
More information on all the wines available from Gallo Family Vineyards is here.
Find where you can purchase Gallo Family Vineyards wines in your area with their store locator.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.