A Thai Vegetable Quinoa Bowl makes for a flavorful lunch or light dinner. A delicious way to get back on track with a healthier diet!
Thai Vegetable Quinoa Bowl
New Year’s Day has come and gone. And maybe your resolutions have, too! Have your thoughts moved from healthy meals to choosing which outrageously decadent dessert to make on Valentine’s Day?
If you resolved to eat better in 2018, it’s not too late. I’m sharing a healthy, veggie-packed Thai Vegetable Quinoa Bowl that will leave you satisfied. And if you love lentils, too, this Mediterranean French Lentil Salad is another winner!
A Healthy, Lower Carb Dish
Since I try to watch my carbs, I took the idea of a rice bowl and used quinoa instead. A decent source of protein, quinoa is both filling and lower on the glycemic index than rice. Then adding loads of veggies provided more nutritive value via fiber and vitamins.
Plus, edamame is another plant-based protein source. Finally, dressing this dish with a flavorful dressing with ginger, garlic, Sriracha, and cilantro made for a healthy quinoa bowl with an extraordinary flavor profile!
More Quinoa Recipes You’ll Love:
- Mediterranean Three Bean Quinoa Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Peach Quinoa Caprese Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Red Bell Pepper, and Cilantro from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Garlic Shrimp with Quinoa from Well Plated
- More Healthy Recipes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked in chicken or vegetable broth according to package instructions (use vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into very thin, julienned strips
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into quarters lengthwise, then very thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- I cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, plus sprigs to garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Add cooked quinoa to a serving bowl and set aside.
Make dressing by whisking together the rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sriracha, and honey. Add the garlic, ginger and cilantro and mix to combine. Slowly whisk in the sesame and vegetable oil until an emulsion forms.
Add about half of the dressing to the quinoa and toss to combine.
Fill a salad bowl or plate with the quinoa, then arrange the vegetables on top. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Drizzle with more dressing to serve.
Alternatively, you can serve this family style by topping the full portion of quinoa with all the vegetables and pass the dressing along with the serving bowl.
For a vegan version, use vegetable broth or salted water to cook the quinoa, substitute sugar for the honey, and omit the fish sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 506mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g