Pear Streusel Coffee Cake
This Pear Streusel Coffee Cake is chock full of fruit and finished off with a crunchy pecan topping. Perfect while pears are ripe, sweet and juicy.
Pear Streusel Coffee Cake: A Winning Recipe
About 35 volunteers for our local Decorators’ Show House gathered at my house at the end of October. These were all hardworking ladies that truly know how to give back to the community. I served up this pear streusel coffee cake and there was nothing but crumbs left on the platter, and there were tons of recipe requests. Moist with an abundance of pears, each bite tantalized the taste buds with fruit and warm spices of cinnamon and ginger.
This Pear Streusel Coffee Cake would be terrific as a holiday gift or a gesture of kindness for a friend or someone in need.
As Thanksgiving approaches, our family focuses on gratitude and helping those in need. In elementary school, my children attached a construction paper leaf to the tree in the cafeteria stating what they were thankful for.
Nick most likely wrote “ham” on his leaf one year, one of his childhood obsessions. Tom was probably more politically correct and scrawled “God” or “family” on his oak or maple shaped cut out. His first-grade teacher predicted he’d grow up to be a priest. Katie certainly mentioned puppies and kittens.
My gratitude has always focused on my dear family, friends and the laughter that fills my day. But this time of year also brings the need to give comfort to others, those less fortunate due to illness, loss of work or even the side effects of aging including immobility and depression.
Things you may need for this Pear Coffee Cake recipe:
More Coffee Cake Recipes You’ll Love:
- Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
- Raspberry Coffee Cake
- Apple Ginger Coffee Cake
- Raspberry Almond Coffee Cake
- Butter Streusel Coffee Cake
- More Brunch Recipes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups chopped ripe,peeled and cored pears
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 10-inch diameter springform pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and oil. Set aside 1 cup of mixture for topping.
- Fold in the chopped pears to the remaining mixture. Stir in the egg, vanilla, buttermilk, baking soda, and baking powder. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the reserved crumbs and the chopped pecans. Sprinkle over top of coffee cake.
- Bake for one hour or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack then remove sides of the springform pan to serve.
Adapted from The Inn on Sea Street recipe
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g