These Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes were moist and tender and the rich ganache and malted milk balls were the crowning glory. Plus, they are perfectly portable, which makes them ideal for so many occasions!
It was the weekend before Nick’s birthday, so we loaded up the family and these Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes and headed to his college campus. We took him and his buddies out for a steak dinner, but they all had room for dessert back at his apartment. The boys all seemed to have no trouble digging right in (they basically have bottomless pits for stomachs), and from Nick’s report, the dozen cupcakes disappeared quickly.
Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes
It was a joy to spend time with the whole family plus Nick’s friends to celebrate his special day. I know as they grow older, we’ll have less and less opportunities to do so. I am grateful for all the time I get to spend with my children. So on this Mother’s Day, I was glad to share a recipe that reflects my mothering! Good food is one of the ways I show my family how much I love them. This best chocolate cupcake recipe was no exception!
Mother’s Day Tribute
Like me, my mom had a huge recipe collection. From cookbooks, to clippings, to recipe cards from her friends and family, they filled our family kitchen. I treasure those index cards with handwritten recipes she’d share after a visit. She was a marvelous cook, but I was always the baker in the family. So today, these luscious cupcakes are to honor my mom and her sweet tooth along with Nick on his 22nd birthday.
More Cupcake Recipes You’ll Love:
- Lemon Cream Pie Cupcakes from Beyond Frosting
- Frosted Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Cookies and Cream Cupcakes from Baked by Rachel
- Vanilla Buttercream Topped Cocoa Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes from Love from the Oven
- Cupcake Recipes
This is the first Mother’s Day without my beautiful, talented, giving mom. Bittersweet as I’m glad she is with her beloved parents, sister and nephew, but sad for those of us she’s left behind. Cheers to you, Gretchen!
My mom with her only granddaughter, Katie.
My mom and me with my new little sister, another Katie!
Baptism of her fourth daughter, Madeleine.
Check out my Cakes and Cupcakes board on Pinterest!
Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes
The BEST chocolate cupcakes topped with outrageously delicious chocolate ganache frosting!
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the vegetable oil and water over low heat.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the melted butter mixture and beat with a handheld mixer at low speed until smooth. Add the egg and beat until incorporated, then add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until smooth, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl. Pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about three-fourths full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes, until springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool slightly, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting, process the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a food processor till smooth, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and process till combined. Add the chocolate and pulse till smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Pipe or spread a mound of frosting on each cupcake. Top with a piece of candy if desired.
- Makes a generous amount of frosting for 12 cupcakes.