It was the weekend before Nick’s birthday, so we loaded up the family and these Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes and headed to his college campus. We took him and his buddies out for a steak dinner, but they all had room for dessert back at his apartment.
The boys all seemed to have room for more food (they basically have bottomless pits for stomachs), and from Nick’s report, the dozen cupcakes disappeared quickly. These perfect chocolate cupcakes were moist and tender and the rich ganache and malted milk balls were the crowning glory. Next time, I’ll have to make a batch topped with vanilla buttercream, too!
Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes
It was a joy to spend time with the whole family plus Nick’s friends to celebrate his special day. I know as they grow older, we’ll have less and less opportunities to do so. I am grateful for all the time I get to spend with my children. So on this Mother’s Day, the SundaySupper team is celebrating moms and sharing meaningful recipes.
Mother’s Day Tribute
Like me, my mom had a huge recipe collection. From cookbooks, to clippings, to recipe cards from her friends and family, they filled our family kitchen. I treasure those index cards with handwritten recipes she’d share after a visit. She was a marvelous cook, but I was always the baker in the family. So today, these luscious cupcakes are to honor my mom and her sweet tooth along with Nick on his 22nd birthday.
More Cupcake Recipes You’ll Love:
- Lemon Cream Pie Cupcakes from Beyond Frosting
- Frosted Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Cookies and Cream Cupcakes from Baked by Rachel
- Vanilla Buttercream Topped Cocoa Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cupcakes from Love from the Oven
More Recipes Celebrating our Moms from the Sunday Supper Gang:
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma’s Mimosa by Our Good Life
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma’s Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Treats and Sweets
- 5 Favorite Pancake Toppings by Sunday Supper
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Thanks to Camilla of Culinary Adventures With Camilla for hosting our Mother’s Day event! This is the first Mother’s Day without my beautiful, talented, giving mom. Bittersweet as I’m glad she is with her beloved parents, sister and nephew, but sad for those of us she’s left behind. Cheers to you, Gretchen!
My mom with her only granddaughter, Katie.
My mom and me with my new little sister, another Katie!
Baptism of her fourth daughter, Madeleine.
Check out my Cakes and Cupcakes board on Pinterest!
Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes #SundaySupper
The BEST chocolate cupcakes topped with outrageously delicious chocolate ganache frosting!
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes 1x
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the vegetable oil and water over low heat.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the melted butter mixture and beat with a handheld mixer at low speed until smooth. Add the egg and beat until incorporated, then add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until smooth, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl. Pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about three-fourths full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes, until springy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool slightly, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting, process the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a food processor till smooth, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and process till combined. Add the chocolate and pulse till smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Pipe or spread a mound of frosting on each cupcake. Top with a piece of candy if desired.
- Makes a generous amount of frosting for 12 cupcakes.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtagand remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.