Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies are an exquisite combination of brownies and chocolate cheesecake that you can eat with your fingers!
These Brownie Bottom Cheesecake Bars will dazzle your friends and family. Who doesn’t love TWO desserts in one?
Why You Must Make
- I took these Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies to a New Year’s party. Without even asking, I was given the perfect recipe review. As I walked by the table of men discussing football and other manly subjects, holding my tray of goodies, one of the guys commented, “These are a molecular chocolate explosion in my mouth.” It may not surprise you that he’s a notable nephrologist who happens to delve into the world of research.
- Instead of deciding between brownies or cheesecake for dessert, you get both with every bite of these.
- These brownie-bottom cheesecake bars are finger food, so they’re perfect to take to picnics and parties. But you may need napkins!
I’ll have to tell hubby that he needs to up his creativity when I’m begging for commentary. The usual “good, really good” just doesn’t cut it anymore!
How to Make
- Make the brownie batter.
- Spread it in an even layer on the bottom of a prepared 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Make the cheesecake batter.
- Top the brownie batter with dollops of cheesecake batter.
- Smooth the cheesecake layer.
- Bake as directed.
- Cool, chill, then slice to serve.
Both the brownies and cheesecake bake together and the results are fabulous. If you like chocolate AND cheesecake, you’ll need to add these to your baking schedule.
- PRO-Tip: Line your pan with nonstick foil for easy removal without the edges sticking to the pan. The foil can be used as a sling to move the cooled brownies to a cutting board.
- If you don’t have nonstick foil on hand, line with regular foil and spray with a cooking spray like Pam.
- To melt chocolate in the microwave, chop it first, then place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Since it’s only 2 ounces, be careful not to zap it too long. Start with 20 seconds, then stop and stir. Repeat for another 15-20 seconds if needed, but once there are only a few small unmelted bits, let the residual heat finish the melting. Stir until completely smooth.
- You can also place the heat-safe bowl of chocolate over a pot of simmering water (the bowl should not touch the water, just nest in the pot above the water). Watch and stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted.
- PRO-Tip: Use a small offset spatula to spread and smooth out each layer. It’s one of my most used kitchen tools.
- Butter – I use salted butter in my recipes. If you use unsalted butter, just add a touch more salt.
- Semi-sweet Chocolate, chopped – I keep a stash of Ghirardelli bars in all chocolate varieties. They are readily available at many supermarkets and are better for melting than chocolate chips. Chocolate chips can be used in a pinch if needed.
- Cocoa powder
- Eggs – Always use large eggs unless otherwise noted
- Vanilla – Always use real vanilla extract, never imitation
- Flour – I use King Arthur All-Purpose Flour. Any all-purpose flour will work well.
- Salt – I prefer finer table salt, not kosher salt for baking
- Cream cheese – must be at room temperature for the smoothest batter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, just like regular cheesecake, these brownies need to be refrigerated. They should be brought out to room temperature for about an hour before serving to get the chill off the cheesecake which makes that layer creamier.
Yes! Both brownies and cheesecake freeze well, so these brownies can be frozen up to 3 months. Just make sure they’re in an airtight container. Defrost them overnight in the refrigerator.
I love topping individual brownies with fresh berries for a pop of color. They’re also delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate or fudge sauce.
You May Also Like
- Chocolate Mousse Brownies from I Am Baker
- Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies
- Easy Caramel Brownies
- Simple Fudgy Brownies
- More of my Best Brownie Recipes
Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
When cheesecake and brownies collide, you'll get an exquisite treat!
- Recipe courtesy of Hugs and Cookies via Baking Bites
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch pan with non-stick foil (or with regular foil sprayed with non-stick spray). Set aside.
- Gently melt chocolate and butter in microwave, stopping and stirring till smooth. Mix in cocoa powder. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla. While whisking, slowly pour chocolate into mixture. Stir till smooth. Sift flour and salt into the bowl and stir till just combined. Pour into prepared pan and smooth top. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, cocoa powder, egg and vanilla till smooth. Drop over brownie batter. Smooth over top (may swirl batters together with knife if desired...I did not).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes till brownies and cheesecake are set. Knife inserted into center of brownies should come out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving. Store covered and refrigerated.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
56 Comments on “Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies”
Those brownies look fabulous! I love that they have cheesecake too!
What a great combination, they look so sweet too sliced up into bite sized bits :0!! I would love to make these sweet little treats!!
Chocolate and Cheesecake and Brownies…all in one!!! Heavenly!!!
Cheesecake + brownies = sooo good. I think I can taste these through the screen.
Yep, chocolate does incredible things to people, to me at least! They are divine!
That looks really indulgent. Like a triple dessert. 😛
Yes I do like chocolate and cheesecake–and I am not a very good ‘swirlier’! How about–that is a party in you mouth!
Yes and yes! I wish I could have about a dozen of these. Lent is almost over! 😀
Yum – I love the brownie with the cream cheese topping. Good call not to swirl. Have a great week!
Molecular chocolate explosion ? I’ll stop by later , so save some for me , okay ? lol Lizzy , these brownies look terrific !
Molecular chocolate explosion! What can be better than this?
I love these two sweetie pie posts! always a winner! what’s better than chocolate and cheesecake!? yum!
Three of my most favorite things in one dessert! Perfection.
These look like a winner, though it’s hard to go wrong with chocolate and cheesecake :).
Thanks for your tip on wild salmon! I’m going to try grilling it tomorrow night and see how it is– I’m kinda grossed out by the farming fish thing.
That’s a great arrangement of words from the kidney guy! I understand how hearing, ‘really nice’ just wouldn’t have the same ring to it after Mr Kidney. Now…what can I say about them…from across the miles, the molecules look like they’d be extremely tasty xx
Lizzy-these look amazing! Especially with the powdered sugar. Our posting day is one of my most favorite days of every month!!!!!!!!!! xoxo
Ooh this look heavenly!!! Love the cheese cake, chocolate brownie layers and can imagine howinsanely delicious they would be 🙂
Sounds like the perfect treat to curb my chocolate attacks!
These chocolate brownies and cream cheese are delicious, and they have a beautiful appearance. I accept the whole dish to taste.