I was spoiled by homegrown beets fresh from the loamy Iowa soil in our childhood garden. My mom would work her magic pickling beets every summer. This scrumptious Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Hearts of Palm bought back memories of years gone by. This cold beet salad recipe was such a tasty treat!
Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Hearts of Palm
Bumping into a friend with a sackful of fresh beets at the Farmers’ Market, she led me to her favorite vendor. Were beets on my shopping list? Nope. But it doesn’t take much to convince me to add them to my menu. A beet salad recipe with blue cheese came to mind, made a quick detour to the grocery store, checked my Epicurious app for a recipe, and found the few ingredients needed to make this sensational salad.
Susan also mentioned her recent addiction to Jean Georges’ beet tartare. YUM. So you may see a change from the usual calorie-laden desserts to a blog with an emphasis on beets. Well, maybe not.
Tips for Making This Beet Salad Recipe
This cold beet salad recipe garnered my attention due to the addition of hearts of palm. Like artichoke hearts, this is another ingredient I love to add to salads. Red bell pepper, green onions, and the requisite blue cheese completed this delectable side. Note that goat cheese also pairs deliciously with beets and can be swapped out for the blue cheese.
I had some leftover balsamic vinaigrette in my fridge, but I also think a sherry vinaigrette would be a splendid beet salad dressing.
PRO-Tip: Choosing multi-colored beets makes for an impressive presentation.
Check Out a Few More Salad Recipes:
- Roasted Fall Vegetable Salad
- Cherry Orange Salad
- Holiday Lettuce Salad
- More of the Best Salad Recipes
- 4 cups packed mixed baby greens
- One can hearts of palm, drained, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 small beets, roasted, peeled and sliced
- 3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) crumbled blue cheese, I used Maytag
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup favorite vinaigrette* (I'd suggest balsamic or sherry vinegar based, see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup aged balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Combine or arrange all ingredients except vinaigrette in a bowl. Toss. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- To make dressing, add all ingredients to a liquid measuring cup or bowl. Whisk to combine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 965mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 10gSugar: 16gProtein: 12g