Beet Salad with Blue Cheese and Hearts of Palm
Bumping into a friend with a sackful of fresh beets at the Farmers’ Market, she led me to her favorite vendor. Were beets on my shopping list? Nope. But it doesn’t take much to convince me to add add them to my menu. A beet salad with blue cheese came to mind, made a quick detour to the grocery store, checked my Epicurious app for a recipe, and found the few ingredients needed to make this sensational salad. Susan also mentioned her recent addiction to Jean Georges’ beet tartare. YUM. So you may see a change from the usual calorie laden desserts to a blog with an emphasis on beets. Well, maybe not.
Out of the Ordinary
This recipe garnered my attention due the addition of hearts of palm. Like artichoke hearts, this is another ingredient I love to add to salads. Red bell pepper, green onions and the requisite blue cheese completed this delectable side. I had some leftover balsamic vinaigrette in my fridge, but I also think a sherry vinaigrette would be a splendid dressing.Print
Beet, Blue Cheese and Hearts of Palm Salad
!Salad adapted from Bon Appetit; Salad dressing adapted from the Mom 100 Cookbook
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups packed mixed baby greens
- One can hearts of palm, drained, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 small beets, roasted, peeled and sliced
- 3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) crumbled blue cheese, I used Maytag
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup favorite vinaigrette* (I’d suggest balsamic or sherry vinegar based, see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup aged balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Combine or arrange all ingredients except vinaigrette in a bowl. Toss. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- To make dressing, add all ingredients to a liquid measuring cup or bowl. Whisk to combine.