For a delicious change of pace, a white sheet cake is always a hit at picnics and summer gatherings! Jazz it up with berries for the summer holidays or freeze and cut into festive shapes to match any occasion.
White Sheet Cake
For those rare occasions my family needs a break from chocolate desserts, a terrific white sheet cake fits the bill. This simple recipe is perfect to feed a crowd and can be made with either almond or vanilla extract or a little of both. The addition of sour cream keeps it moist and tender, and serving it with ice cream and berries kicks it up a notch or two. Even a simple slice, without the accouterments, is an ideal remedy when a mid-afternoon craving hits. My family was generous with praise for this delightful change of pace as were my girlfriends when I brought a tray of squares to a cocktail party.
This is such a terrific basic recipe for a crowd. Serve with seasonal berries or top with sprinkles or toasted nuts before the frosting hardens. If you chill the iced cake overnight, you can cut out shapes with your favorite cookie cutters—think of stars for the 4th of July, Christmas trees for a holiday party. The options are endless. Tint the frosting if desired to match your theme! Make sure to frost while the cake is still warm as the frosting hardens quickly. This recipe for white sheet cake needs to be part of your baking repertoire.
More of Summer’s Best Potluck Dishes
With gatherings on Memorial Day weekend, the 4th of July, Memorial Day and more, you need a simple, crowd-pleasing dessert. A simple white sheet cake will thrill the masses! Check out all the tasty recipes below for your summer entertaining.
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Walnut Grapes by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
Sides and Salads
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Double Chocolate Blondies by Family Around The Table
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Plus Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake and Best Potluck Dishes from Sunday Supper Movement
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil. Remove from heat; by hand, stir in flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream,extracts, salt, and baking soda and mix by hand, until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 15-22 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick comes out clean, watching carefully so not to over-bake.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before frosting
- Combine butter, and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat: whisk in powdered sugar and extract.
- Frost warm cake. Chill if you'd like to cut out festive shapes for a party theme.
I used an old insulated jelly roll pan and my cake to a little over 20 minutes to fully bake. Start checking with a toothpick or finger tap at 15 minutes as the baking time will vary depending on your pan and oven.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement