A crumb topping makes this Dutch apple pie so easy to make, plus who doesn’t love a streusel topping???
Dutch Apple Pie
I’m not sure if this pie has anything to do with Holland, but Dutch Apple Pie typically refers to an apple pie topped with a crumble topping. For me, it’s a delight not to fiddle with a top crust. Though I’ve finally gotten to where my crusts are consistently flaky and tasty, they’re not always so pretty once they get transferred to the top of a pie. This pie’s streusel topping solves that problem. I’d recommend covering the surface with foil about half-way through the baking time as this recipe requires a longer stint in the oven in order to cook the apples to perfection. The last thing you want is a charred crust or topping.
Making the BEST Apple Pies
I find the tastiest apple pies are made with a variety of baking apples. This ensures that there will be a depth of flavor, combination of textures and balance of sweetness and tartness. My go-to selection is a couple each of Granny Smiths, golden delicious and Jonathans. Though, when I got a shipment of Northern Spys from Michigan, those alone made the best tasting pie ever—so if you have access to a spectacular pie apple, go for a solo variety. Otherwise, a nice mixture is your best bet. Today, the Sunday Supper team is focusing on autumn foods and flavors. Make sure you check out all the terrific recipes featured today.
Celebrating Fall Flavors with the Sunday Supper Tastemasters!
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Cabbage Soup with Lentils by Monica’s Table
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Arugula Salad by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Delicata Squash and Olives by Foodie Tots
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup by Eating in Instead
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Dark Chocolate-Espresso Pumpkin Tiramisu by Brunch with Joy
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pear Cake by Simply Healthy Family
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way
Plus, A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper
- 3 pounds baking apples (use different types like Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Jonathon), peeled and cut into slices
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- Pastry dough for 1 layer pie crust (your favorite recipe or pre-made crust)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cool, not cold
- Roll out pie dough and fit into a 9 inch pie plate. Place in refrigerator while preparing filling. Preheat oven to 400º.
- Toss apple slices with sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside, stirring once or twice to help dissolve sugar.
- In a medium bowl, using two knives or pastry blender, cut butter into flour and sugars. Then pinch with fingers till large crumbs form.
- Take crust out of refrigerator and fill with apples. Sprinkle topping over top of apples. Bake for 40 minutes then reduce to 350º for 50 minutes or till filling is bubbling and apples are tender. Cover crust with foil if browning too quickly.
- Cool before slicing. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.