Easy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
When your dad asks for a bowl of leftover Brussels sprouts for breakfast, you know they were cooked to perfection. The first time I made these easy sautéed brussels sprouts, I left out the pecans, thinking my kids and the persnickety spouse might actually take a courtesy bite and change their mind about this much maligned vegetable. Sigh. No way. The pecans added a fabulous crunch, so don’t leave those out unless you have actually Brussels sprouts eaters that don’t like nuts.
These sprouts were cooked with garlic and onions in a mixture of butter and olive oil. Yes, all those flavors penetrated during the cooking process. Last but not least, chopped pecans another wonderful texture. The perfect finishing touch!
I loved getting a little color on the cut side of these sprouts. That caramelization is another flavor enhancement. Just make sure to poke the biggest sprouts with the tip of a sharp knife or a fork to make sure they’re tender. You definitely don’t want to overcook and have mushy veggies either, but that’s harder to do while frying.
Perfect Fall or Thanksgiving Side Dish
So, alas, these easy sautéed Brussels sprouts ended up being a treat for myself, and my dad, that Thanksgiving years ago. The picky ones didn’t care to have even one measly bite. This simple Brussels sprouts recipe is a wonderful side dish whether for a casual weeknight meal or for special company! I have a feeling your family will be an easier sell than mine!!
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes You’ll Love:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Roasted Autumn Vegetables with a Dijon Vinaigrette from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red Lobster Fresh Roasted Brussels Sprouts from CopyKat Recipes
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Bacon from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Easy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
A simple autumnal side dish that’s tasty enough for the holidays!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish, Vegetables
- Cuisine: Vegetables, Side Dish
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup roasted pecans, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook the Brussels sprouts in boiling, salted water until just tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut each sprout in half.
Heat butter and oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook till golden. Add minced garlic and Brussels sprouts and saute till sprouts are lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add pecans if using.
Recipe adapted from Saveur magazine.
- Calories: 175kcal
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 347mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg