These tasty, beautiful Make Ahead 7-Layer Salads in a Jar are an updated Meal Prep version of a popular retro salad from my childhood. The classic 7-layer salad is made in a large glass bowl to showcase each and every layer, but these mini versions are perfectly proportioned for one serving!
These Meal Prep Salads have the advantage of being portable, making them perfect to take to work! One for today, then another for the next day if you don’t want to share!
Make Ahead 7-Layer Salads in a Jar
I loved the original version of the 7-layer salad that debuted sometime in the 1950s if I were to hazard a guess. The salad’s history has been traced back to the south where it was referred to as a 7-layer pea salad because of the requisite layer of vibrant green peas.
The hubby is always excited when this delicious combination is on the menu; I’m pretty sure the bacon seals the deal. This “salad” is nowhere near health food, but worth a splurge every now and then.
Preferably served in a glass bowl to showcase each separate layer, this 7 Layer Salad Recipe was de rigeur in the 1970’s when I was growing up. I’ve brought a modern, meal prep version to the table today by making a couple of individual servings in mason jars to have ready for lunches or a dinner side.
How to Make 7 Layer Salads
I started with lettuce, then salad dressing, tomatoes, peas, red onion, cheese and finally bacon. Optional ingredients include hard boiled eggs, cucumbers, mushrooms and I’ve even added diced artichoke hearts. Whatever your heart desires.
I add the lettuce before the dressing, so you don’t lose one drop of the creamy topping. To serve, just flip out the contents of the jar onto your plate and dig in!
Meal Prep Dinners
Here are a few more “Meal Prep” dinner ideas that you may want to add to your menu. My 7-Layer Salads in a Jar along with a few other easy entrees will help lighten the load at the end of a busy day!
- Make Ahead Bagel Sandwiches by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Meatballs for Three Different Dinners by Positively Stacey
- Italian Chicken Meal Prep Bowls from Eazy Peazy Mealz
- Vietnamese Banh Mi Pork by Caroline’s Cooking
- Fajita Meal Prep Bowls from Spend with Pennies
For another fun, mini salad, check out these Mediterranean Endive Boats!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (I used Morton's Nature's Seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1-2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion (I soak in ice water while prepping ingredients to remove some of the bite)
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Whisk together dressing ingredients. Taste and add more sugar or seasoning salt if needed.
Divide ingredients between 2 mason jars (about 2 cup capacity), starting with lettuce, then 2-3 tablespoons salad dressing, tomatoes, peas, onion, cheese and finally the bacon.
Feel free to add other favorite ingredients or add more or less of each to your tastes.
Save leftover dressing for a wedge salad or a simple green salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 935Total Fat: 78gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 47gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 1498mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 15gProtein: 34g