One summer, my mom introduced us to a cool tomato soup garnished with homemade croutons and diced vegetables. These Gazpacho Shooters bring back memories of a glorious childhood.
From about the age of 10 on, my family would pile in our Plymouth Satellite station wagon (in the days before seatbelts!) and drive across Iowa, Nebraska and half of Colorado to the sleepy ski town of Aspen. The jet-setters were gone and mainly locals wandered the streets. We hiked, picnicked, listened to practices at the world renowned music tent, and dined at some of the tony restaurants for lunch. Each day we had another adventure.
Aspen was where my mom had her first taste of gazpacho and then hit the Pitkin County library for a recipe to recreate it in our condo. It was those buttery homemade croutons that reeled me in, such a divine garnish along with chopped bell peppers, cucumbers, and onions. Perfect as a summer appetizer, these Gazpacho Shooters are a refreshing mini version of my favorite summer soup.
This week, my Sunday Supper friends and I are sharing nostalgic summer recipes. So many delicious treats remind me of those idyllic childhood days. We always had a garden and I remember eating radishes still warm from the rich Iowa soil.
Classic Rhubarb Pie and fresh sweet corn were a given. Plus, my mom would always make a big batch of this gazpacho with all the trimmings. Nowadays, it would be a big, healthy summer salad, like this scrumptious Summer Caprese Salad, that I’d want to repeat numerous times each summer. What’s your favorite summer food memory?? Thanks to Coleen, of The Redhead Baker, for hosting us this week.
More Nostalgic Recipes from my Sunday Supper Friends:
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Summer’s Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S’mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Rhubarb Cake by Monica’s Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Peach Lemongrass Soup with Creme Fraiche from Boulder Locavore
- Bacon Corn Chowder
- Chilled Cantaloupe Soup from It’s Yummi
- Classic Gazpacho with Homemade Croutons
- Chilled Corn and Crab Soup from Foodie Crush
Used in This Recipe:
- Nutri Ninja| Ninja Blender Duo with Auto-iQ (BL642)
- OXO Non-Slip Cutting Board
- Wusthof Classic 6-inch Wave Knife
A mini version of my favorite summer soup.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 15 appetizer sized servings
- Category: Appetizer, Soup
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato or V-8 juice
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tabasco or favorite hot sauce, to taste
- Red bell pepper, cucumber, onion, avocado diced, to garnish
- Homemade croutons, to garnish*
- Fresh Italian parsley or cilantro, to garnish
- Place tomatoes, tomato juice cucumber, onion, green pepper, 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, and olive oil in a blender and puree. Taste, then season with another teaspoon of vinegar, salt, pepper and Tabasco if desired.
- Pour into small glasses (I used 2-ounce capacity glasses) and garnish with diced vegetables, croutons, and a small herb leaf to serve.
- *To make homemade croutons, cut slices of a sturdy loaf into small cubes. Heat equal parts olive oil and butter in a saute pan and add bread. Cook till all sides are lightly browned. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Cool before garnishing soup.