I spied this decadent Chocolate Mousse Torte on the Fine Cooking website and knew immediately it would be our Christmas dessert. Rich and exquisite, this is definitely mousse in cake form. The only downside is that it’s difficult to slice into perfect wedges. Fine Cooking recommended using dental floss, but my clan really doesn’t care didn’t care as long as they were dished a serving ASAP. It’s truly decadent and worthy of any special occasion.
Bill requested I tone down the coffee flavor in this dessert, so I cut the espresso powder from 1 tablespoon to 1 teaspoon. Feel free to up the dose if you love a true mocha flavor. The recipe is pretty straight forward, but be forewarned, there will be a few dirty dishes…what with making ganache in the food processor, whipping up the cake batter in your stand mixer, then slowly folding the batter into the ganache in yet another bowl. I usually leave the dirty dishes for the hubby, but when every surface is covered with holiday prep, I do shed some mercy. But I seem to splash chocolate on the kitchen wallpaper every single time I have batter to clean out of mixing bowls before loading them in the dishwasher. But this chocolate mousse torte is worth the mess…and the dishpan hands.
I’m honored to be hosting the Sunday Supper’s virtual anniversary party. It’s been two fun-filled years of wonderful recipes and camaraderie. We’re all reflecting on our favorite moments over the past year. Hands down, mine was meeting up in person with many of the friends I’ve made in this group. First, at the IFBC in Seattle, I was thrilled to meet Alice of Hip Foodie Mom, Nancy of Gotta Get Baked, Linda of The Urban Mrs, and Megan of I Run For Wine. Then in November, I gathered with Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic, Lauren of Heathy.Delicous, Angie of Big Bear’s Wife, and Courtney of Neighborhoodfood at another food blogger’s conference, Mixed, near Pembroke, Virginia. These gals were as wonderful as you’d imagine…we were instant friends. I hope to meet more Sunday Supper members in 2014!
With Nancy and Alice
With Angie, Lauren, Courtney and Kim
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature for the pan
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules (may add 1 tablespoon for more espresso flavor)
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1//4 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Generously butter a 10-inch springform pan and wrap the bottom and sides in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Make the ganache by grinding the chocolate in food processor till it looks like coarse crumb. Bring cream to nearly boiling. Add hot cream to food processor and process for about 10 seconds. Scrape down sides of processor. Dissolve the espresso powder in a teaspoon hot water and add it to the warm ganache still in the food processor. Process until fully incorporated, about 10 seconds. Transfer the ganache to a large bowl.
- In your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs, sugar, and flour on high speed until pale and fluffy and doubled in volume, about 6 minutes. Add about one-third of the egg mixture to the ganache and fold in with a rubber spatula until combined. Add the remaining egg mixture and fold together until just combined..
- Pour the batter into the springform pan. Set the pan inside the roasting pan and fill the roasting pan with 1 to 1-1/2 inches of boiling water. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or till top is crusty and center jiggles just slightly. Remove from water bath, remove foil and cool on a wire rack to room temperature and then refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To cut the torte dip your knife in hot water and wipe dry before each cut. Serve with whipped cream and berries.
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Pizza Dip from The Food Army Wife
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.