This Winter Salad with Apples, Pecans, Blue Cheese and Dried Cherries will make you forget that the availability of garden tomatoes and lettuces are months and months away!
Loaded Winter Salad
This is the second Pioneer Woman recipe I have made. Another winner! I brought this Winter Salad to a New Year’s Day party, and both the men and women gave it high marks. I found the salad dressing to be most unusual with only one teaspoon of cider vinegar for the 1/4 cup of olive oil, much less acid than I’d usually use. I did up that measurement a bit, but the rest is pure Ree.
There’s a lot of Dijon mustard plus some maple syrup in the dressing as well. And it works. I’d also love to test out some of these fabulous autumn salads.
The Perfect Combination of Flavors and Textures
I renamed this bowl of dressed greens and goodies “Winter Salad” as it is perfect for the cold months when garden tomatoes and other homegrown goodies are impossible to find. I don’t think you’ll miss your summer salad at all when you taste this lovely concoction of greens, thinly sliced Granny apples, toasted pecans and small cubes of Maytag blue cheese. The perfect combination of sweet, salty, crunchy and chewy ingredients. This winter salad is magnificent any month of the year! I promise.
More Salads You’ll Love:
- Fall Salad with Maple Candied Pecans Bacon, Apples and Shaved Brussels Sprouts from Bless This Mess
- Apple Cherry and Walnut Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fall Panzanella Salad from Nutmeg Nanny
- Holiday Lettuce Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Shaved Winter Vegetable Salad from The View From Great Island
You may need these supplies to make this winter salad recipe:
- Salad Bowl
- Mason Jars
- Pillivuyt 2-1/4-Quart Porcelain Serving Bowl
- Pillivuyt 3-quart Serving Bowl (lovely French ceramic bowls)
- 11-Inch Salad Tongs
Winter Salad with Apples, Pecans, Blue Cheese and Dried Cherries~
A loaded green salad perfect for fall and winter months!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Salad, Side Dish
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- 12 ounces Spring Mix greens or baby spinach
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced thinly (I used my mandolin)
- 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 6 ounces Maytag blue cheese, cut into small cubes (may use any blue cheese of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon real Maple syrup
- 2-3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (to taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange apples, pecans, cherries and blue cheese over greens in salad bowl or platter.
- In a small mason jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake to mix and emulsify. Just before serving pour dressing over salad and lightly toss.
Recipe slightly adapted from Pioneer Woman